Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 02:54 AM

Cutting Costs

Without wishing to be too personal, I wondered what people would cut out in order to maintain a certain standard of living.

For example, when Gordon died suddenly in July 2008 I was left with a mortgage to pay and my car had a few months to go before being paid off.

Our joint weekly earnings at that time were £800 a week so, as you can imagine, when he died very suddenly, I was left to cope with just my full time wage at that time of £250 a week.

There was no insurance policy nor legacy bequeathed to me so, as you can imagine, what I faced was something of a quite formidable task, plus the fact that I was in deep shock.

Anyway, it was very hard for me to cope with my loss, but I wasn't in immediate danger of poverty as I did have some savings, albeit not much.

I decided I had to cut out things I didn't DESPERATELY need and the first thing I got rid of was my mobile phone. It was on contract and it wasn't used much, but I figured those few pounds a month could be used elsewhere.

I did other things as well, but as usual, I've rabbited on so, what would you get rid of to cut costs?
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 03:18 AM

Re: Cutting Costs

the saterlite tv never moble phone to exepsiff
we had to cut down two as i had to stop working sudanly we watch the power and use it on cheep times to the washing
were managing ok but no more holls for a while
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Without wishing to be too personal, I wondered what people would cut out in order to maintain a certain standard of living.

For example, when Gordon died in July 2008 I was left with a mortgage to pay and my car had a few months to go before being paid off.

Our joint weekly earnings at that time were £800 a week so, as you can imagine, when he died very suddenly, I was left to cope with just my full time wage at that time of £250 a week.

There was no insurance policy nor legacy bequeathed to me so, as you can imagine, what I faced was something of a quite formidable task, plus the fact that I was in deep shock.

Anyway, it was very hard for me to cope with my loss, but I wasn't in immediate danger of poverty as I did have some savings, albeit not much.

I decided I had to cut out things I didn't DESPERATELY need and the first thing I got rid of was my mobile phone. It was on contract and it wasn't used much, but I figured those few pounds a month could be used elsewhere.

I did other things as well, but as usual, I've rabbited on so, what would you get rid of to cut costs?
It must have been so hard Mollie when you lost your beloved Gordon and my heart goes out to you what you must have gone through.
I have been thinking alot about the future recently for various reasons and infact I went and paid for a Funeral last week....mine or Hubby's....whoever goes first which I believe will make it easier for the partner that will be left and also get that expense out the way.
As for giving thing's up....tbh I have no idea what I would do but I can tell you what I sorted out for someone close to me who was in a similar position as your good self.I got them to get rid of their Internet as I found out that BT allow's me to log in away from home free and seeing I am there alot and they don't use the Internet that much I can log in for them if they need to go online.Then I got them to get rid of their Landline....yes Landline.This person never used their Landline and just had it for the Internet....abit like myself tbh.They always use their Mobile which costs them a tenner a month for over 1000 text...free talk to anyone on their network and 200 mins to anybody.Im with the same network but have 500 mins a month which I never use so they can always use my phone anyway. I saved them about £26 a Month I think doing that.Then I went on Confused.Com and sorted out cheaper Insurance's for them as they let their Bank sort that out and thats not a good idea.I saved them approx £600 on various Insurance's which amazed them.I also got them to get rid of their Credit Card as it was being used just because it was there basically and what a waste of money as they never paid it to the full and interest was building up.Other bits and piece's were also sorted and now they are not so stressed out about money.You will be ok Mollie as from what I "seen" you have your head screwed on and although it may not be easy you will get there babe im sure((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 03:38 AM

Yes, I do have my head screwed on very tightly but, at the time of the sudden death of my partner, it definitely became unscrewed and I couldn't think straight for a long time.

I'd bought and paid £450 for a flight to America with a friend. I'd never been before and after what had happened I didn't want to go but, I couldn't get my money back, so I did go, just six weeks after he'd died. Other people said I should go so I arranged someone to look after my cats but, I wasn't a very good travelling companion.

Well, that's by the by, but I am glad I went, although I didn't want to be there - too many mixed emotions to explain.

It was when I came back I realised I had to tighten my belt - very tightly. I'd been off work for six weeks after he died, but fortunately for me I have a wonderful boss who paid me for my time off.

I've never been any good with finances but I had to do something so, because I don't watch TV, I decided there was no point in my paying for my cable TV, so I cancelled that as well, which didn't make that much difference to be honest.

Luckily, in the September of 2008, my car was finally paid off, the in July of 2011 my mortgage was paid off so things are a little bit healthier.
poppycock
hampshire England
poppycock is female  poppycock has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 03:26 PM

I gave up smoking and stopped having a drink I only drank at weekends and that wasnt much but it was the cigs that cost a bomb. Since I stopped 2 years ago I have never been so well off.
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Yes, I do have my head screwed on very tightly but, at the time of the sudden death of my partner, it definitely became unscrewed and I couldn't think straight for a long time.

I'd bought and paid £450 for a flight to America with a friend. I'd never been before and after what had happened I didn't want to go but, I couldn't get my money back, so I did go, just six weeks after he'd died. Other people said I should go so I arranged someone to look after my cats but, I wasn't a very good travelling companion.

Well, that's by the by, but I am glad I went, although I didn't want to be there - too many mixed emotions to explain.

It was when I came back I realised I had to tighten my belt - very tightly. I'd been off work for six weeks after he died, but fortunately for me I have a wonderful boss who paid me for my time off.

I've never been any good with finances but I had to do something so, because I don't watch TV, I decided there was no point in my paying for my cable TV, so I cancelled that as well, which didn't make that much difference to be honest.

Luckily, in the September of 2008, my car was finally paid off, the in July of 2011 my mortgage was paid off so things are a little bit healthier.
Good to hear Mollie.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 04:05 PM

I am at the point now that I am about to 'down size' as they say. I have a too 'large for just me' home and with only 1 child still here (she only has 1 year left of college and steady guy), I have been taking baby steps to make that move. Decluttering (lots more left of that to do), on line education and placement last summer on weekends to obtain the option of 'out the house' job as a dietary aid (kitchen worker in a long term home/hospital) as I have been providing home based childcare for almost 20 years, most of the house has been repainted inside, few more touches needed. I have a realiste lady coming on this week actually to do a walk through and suggest what else needs to be done and an idea of the listing price. Here in southern Ontario, it is a 'buys' market right now with so many homes available. Not sure if this is the actual right time but I can afford to wait and gamble the market improving some for the seller. I'm just tired of 'doing it all'. Looking at heading into an 'apartment' style condo and resigned myself to the fact that I will have to stay in this city (a big battle I've been having with myself!).

ps for Molly... my middle child is Gordon . Always loved that name. He goes by Gordie still even at 21 (thinks himself of a 'Gordie Howe the hockey player type).
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 05:08 PM

I have always been careful with money, not mean, just careful. I feel for people who find themselves in financial difficulties. I have been there but good fortune took a hand and I'm fine now. I'm glad thing are looking up for you Mollie.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 05:13 PM

Cable TV. I got Freesat instead.
And the toyboy had to go.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 08:48 PM

I have always been a careful person where money is concerned, so to be honest i don't know what i would
cut down on as i believe as a family we are careful.

I suppose if things changed i would cut my cloth to whatever
was needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top