Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2011, 07:03 PM

Carol Singers

We had three lads round last night who rang the door bell.

As I opened it they burst into "We wish you a Merry Christmas". "Hold on a minute" says I, "aren't you going to sing a carol first?" "What's a carol" uttered the youngest. So I told them that if they could sing a carol then I will treat them, but if you couldn't then I wouldn't. "Is Away in a Manger a carol?" said the oldest, "because I know a few lines of that" "OK then, let's hear it" I said, and he continued to sing the first two verses beautifully, until he ran out of knowledge.

I gave the lads a pound each, wished them a Happy Christmas, and told them not to tell the rest of the neighbourhood kids and not to come back....

What a sad state of affairs though isn't it, that they don't even sing Carols in school any more. The spirit of Christmas really has been lost forever...
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Re: Carol Singers

Aye, it is very sad to hear that. The only "song" they appear to know is We Wish You A Merry Christmas, and they don't really. They just want to relieve you of your brass!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2011, 10:28 PM

Sad, Very sad. Not the world we grew up in ......
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2011, 11:20 PM

At around 6pm tonight I had two boys carol singing. They sang 'We wish you a merry Christmas'- they could actually sing well, so I asked if they could sing another one and they said 'sorry we don't know anymore Christmas songs'! Still treated them though as they were two polite boys-like Eileen, I think its also very sad....
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2011, 11:27 PM

That is very sad. I remember carol singing when younger. I suppose it's all to do with the PC brigade!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 12:02 AM

We haven't had any carol singers here for a few years now.

At my granddaughter's Church Carol Concert, they sang three carols: Once in Royal David City; Away in a Manger and O Come all ye faithful. I hadn't even heard of the remainder of the songs. It's such a shame as there was always something magical about carols at Christmastime.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 12:41 AM

When we used to go Carol singing we used to sing two or three
Carols before the final 'message'.

I guess it is a symptom of the something for nothing society..
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Ah Mags the school carol concert, I did go to the two school concerts this week and 'Little Donkey' got me again, always does.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 04:03 PM

Oh yes, Little Donkey...... unfortunately that wasn't included in Katie's Church Carol Concert, another one I think is sad is "Two Little Boys". I hope you also enjoyed your grandchildren's Concert, Mary.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:16 PM

No carol singers here, not for some years
We used to have the local St.Francis Hospice come round with a car pulling a brightly lit sleigh with reindeers and Santa pulling the reins, surrounded by gifts and a big sack.
Loudspeakers played carols and lots of people dressed up knocking on doors with collection boxes.
It was a lovely tradition for many years..but sadly no more.
(probably 'elf and safety rules)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top