Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Electric Scooters

Are you or perhaps a younger family member thinking of buying one? Anyone who is would be well-advised to check the law on these before doing so, you could be throwing money down the drain! Where I live these are regularly seen being used on public roads, illegally it now seems. Mostly they are used here as transport between villages, especially to get to this village where there is a shop. Until today and reading about this on link below, I have often wondered about their legality:

“Unlike San Francisco and Paris, the Department for Transport says that in the UK at the moment you are not allowed to ride an electric scooter on the road. They are also not allowed on the pavement. In fact, the only place you are allowed to ride them is on private land, with the permission of the landowner.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-transporters
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 08:56 AM

Re: Electric Scooters

I thought you could ride them on roads if they had number plates.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I thought you could ride them on roads if they had number plates.
That would be in addition to all the legal requirements that apply to motor vehicles, see item from the original link below:

"3. What law applies to the use of powered transporters?
There is no specially-designed legal regime for powered transporters. This means that they are covered by the same laws and regulations that apply to all motor vehicles.

The definition of “motor vehicle” as set out in the Road Traffic Act 1988 is “any mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads”. There is case law confirming that powered transporters fall within this definition (see section 8 of this information sheet).

The law aims to ensure safety, consistency, and environmental sustainability in the manufacture and use of motor vehicles. Failures to comply with these rules are criminal offences for which users can be arrested and prosecuted."

I am very surprised that any manufacturer of these scooters would even try and sell them in this country in view of the regulations.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Deleted.

Apologies, I thought Baz was talking about mobility scooters.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
That would be in addition to all the legal requirements that apply to motor vehicles, see item from the original link below:

"3. What law applies to the use of powered transporters?
There is no specially-designed legal regime for powered transporters. This means that they are covered by the same laws and regulations that apply to all motor vehicles.

The definition of “motor vehicle” as set out in the Road Traffic Act 1988 is “any mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads”. There is case law confirming that powered transporters fall within this definition (see section 8 of this information sheet).

The law aims to ensure safety, consistency, and environmental sustainability in the manufacture and use of motor vehicles. Failures to comply with these rules are criminal offences for which users can be arrested and prosecuted."

I am very surprised that any manufacturer of these scooters would even try and sell them in this country in view of the regulations.

Deleted . . . my mistake.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Hi

The littlies here have the stand up, battery powered things.

They zoom up and down the footpaths like maniacs.

They are well trained though.

Start backing your car out and they stop.

Harmless fun as far as I am concerned.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:25 AM

Yes, click the BBC link in the OP.

You can hire them in Paris, just like you can hire a bike in London.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Oh. What shall I do with this one that I spent time restoring it recently.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E9D4AEB-1B3F-4648-B81A-D0A1BB869F90.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	9516   Click image for larger version

Name:	9068C617-0607-449B-ADEE-DC49165D11E5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	9517  
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Deleted.

Apologies, I thought Baz was talking about mobility scooters.
Mups, I thought the same too until l read the article.

They seem pointless at the moment, as you can’t ride them on the road, you can’t ride them on the path? No wonder we don’t see many about!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Oh. What shall I do with this one that I spent time restoring it recently.
Ooo! I'd like one of those! I didn't know they had seats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top