Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 02:08 PM

Old School

Yes ok, you say, this is yet another thread about NDAs and Philip Green...but actually it's not, so hang on there!

It's about our attitudes these days towards what some folk refer to as bullying, racism, misogyny, whereas others say "Oh it's his age, it's the older generation thing, it's old school"

He allegedly harassed female staff, bullied male staff, but few felt able to speak up, and senior managers frequently ignored his behaviour.

Here are a few examples of PG's behaviour, straight from the horses' mouths - those who've been on the receiving end.

* walking into meetings and giving women present a lingering hug
* asking women in meetings if they were “naughty girls”, and if they “needed their bottoms slapped”
* creeping up behind women in corridors to make them jump, before caressing their shoulders to “reassure” them
* calling women “sweetheart”, “darling” or “love”, rather than by their names
* telling women they were overweight and should go on a diet
* flying into expletive-ridden rages abusing male and female staff in front of colleagues

One woman who asked Green to use her name in a meeting rather than “sweetheart” and “darling” was told to “shut the **** up”.
The source said they had witnessed an incident in which Green made a comment about a woman’s weight and said she “must be a lesbian because no man would marry her”, and another in which he asked an Asian woman if she had been eating too many samosas.

According to allegations in an unofficial biography published earlier this year, Green once said to a female buyer at one of his firms: “You’re absolutely ****ing useless. I should throw you out of the window, but you’re so fat you’d probably bounce back in again.”

So where do you stand?
Should you just put up and shut up if you find yourself working for someone like this?
Don't forget he's our generation!
Are you Old School?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Re: Old School

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes ok, you say, this is yet another thread about NDAs and Philip Green...but actually it's not, so hang on there!

It's about our attitudes these days towards what some folk refer to as bullying, racism, misogyny, whereas others say "Oh it's his age, it's the older generation thing, it's old school"

He allegedly harassed female staff, bullied male staff, but few felt able to speak up, and senior managers frequently ignored his behaviour.

Here are a few examples of PG's behaviour, straight from the horses' mouths - those who've been on the receiving end.

* walking into meetings and giving women present a lingering hug
* asking women in meetings if they were “naughty girls”, and if they “needed their bottoms slapped”
* creeping up behind women in corridors to make them jump, before caressing their shoulders to “reassure” them
* calling women “sweetheart”, “darling” or “love”, rather than by their names
* telling women they were overweight and should go on a diet
* flying into expletive-ridden rages abusing male and female staff in front of colleagues

One woman who asked Green to use her name in a meeting rather than “sweetheart” and “darling” was told to “shut the **** up”.
The source said they had witnessed an incident in which Green made a comment about a woman’s weight and said she “must be a lesbian because no man would marry her”, and another in which he asked an Asian woman if she had been eating too many samosas.

According to allegations in an unofficial biography published earlier this year, Green once said to a female buyer at one of his firms: “You’re absolutely ****ing useless. I should throw you out of the window, but you’re so fat you’d probably bounce back in again.”

So where do you stand?
Should you just put up and shut up if you find yourself working for someone like this?
Don't forget he's our generation!
Are you Old School?
Green appears to be an evil creep who thought he could get away with that behaviour as so many have in the past. I hope his past behaviour will haunt him for the rest of his miserable life.

I also hope others like him will now be concerned that their behaviour will be brought to public attention.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 03:03 PM

I'm old school in many ways and I say somethings these days are leaped at too quickly where no offence was meant, but what you are describing is bullying pure and simple and that's never OK. In a work place you cannot allow a person of power to speak to those under them with anything but politeness IMO what is ok between equals changes dramatically with the power being unequal.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 03:40 PM

Big hugs should be reserved for family members, short hugs for women (or men) you know well and there's nothing wrong with calling someone `Love` unless they personally object to it.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Just another one who has been *outed* , old creep, I will always be cross that he did the *dirty* over BHS I used to love to shop there.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Just another one who has been *outed* , old creep, I will always be cross that he did the *dirty* over BHS I used to love to shop there.
About time too imo....you should treat those who work for for you with respect. He came across as a bully and a mysogynist.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:13 PM

I am old school in some ways but not that, He sounds like a bully and let's be honest, no one makes it by being nice to people. He got away with shafting BHS but the press will make sure he gets done for something.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:13 PM

Personally I don't do the huggy thing and he'd have been told straight to get off. Neither do I like out and out bullies, though I don't mind harmless banter where no hurt or insult is intended. There is a line and he didn't so much step over as leap over and well he knew it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:23 PM

I'm a hugger but luckily the recipients of my hugs seem to like them as they hug me right back! If I thought I was offending anyone by hugging I'd be mortified. But the hugs we are talking about here are coming from a nasty, condescending, patronising, sexist and downright pillock.

I also am guilty of calling people 'love' it's a term of endearment from me but coming from him again he's just a foul creepy pillock.

I'm old school but he shouldn't get away with what he has done!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Sir Fat Creepy Slimy Green appears beyond any Government Laws because he is a Multi-Billionaire with friends in High places in many Countries
He is a jumped up 'Little Hitler Barrow Boy'and no amount of money will give him the finnese that Gentlemen have, whether rich or poor.

He stole millions for his employee's Insurance fund which he sold his company for £1.00

Of course, he used to be best chums with Cameron and Blair who he no doubt entertained in one of his Yachts

He was once employed by Cameron to teach us about money & business

He could have definitely taught us all how to make Billions in the UK from the backs of low paid workers and the gave himself and his wifes millions of tax-free dividend as he made sure his Companies were registered abroad in his wife name.

Why doesn't anyone stand up to this criminal?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top