Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Food Bank donations

Two of our 4 big name local supermarkets have those big crates/baskets after the checkouts where you are able to donate unperishable foods for local Food Banks.

Knowing some people personally, who have fallen on desperately hard times through no fault of their own, every time I do my weekly shop (sometimes more often) I always buy packs of staple foods in twos or threes (depending on the offer in store). It's usually rice, pasta, tinned fish/meats/vegetables and occasionally I'll deliberately buy shop brand spice mixes or gravy or stock granules

Do you bother?
Given that one family is only allowed one food bank box of goodies in any given month in some areas ...do you even think they're a good idea?
Could it be run nationally especially now that many Supermarkets are donating their end of day "waste " foods instead of throwing it away?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Re: Food Bank donations

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Two of our 4 big name local supermarkets have those big crates/baskets after the checkouts where you are able to donate unperishable foods for local Food Banks.

Knowing some people personally, who have fallen on desperately hard times through no fault of their own, every time I do my weekly shop (sometimes more often) I always buy packs of staple foods in twos or threes (depending on the offer in store). It's usually rice, pasta, tinned fish/meats/vegetables and occasionally I'll deliberately buy shop brand spice mixes or gravy or stock granules

Do you bother?
Given that one family is only allowed one food bank box of goodies in any given month in some areas ...do you even think they're a good idea?
Could it be run nationally especially now that many Supermarkets are donating their end of day "waste " foods instead of throwing it away?

Our eldest daughter is a vicar, and there is a food bank to which her church subscribes, we donate money to it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:34 AM

No, I have to admit I have never donated anything. I often wonder if the supermarket donates it's left over and out of date food or whether it relies solely on it's customers to fill the box.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:48 AM

I know that Aldi do
And Tesco and Waitrose have upped their donations by 16% this year (but I can't find reliable figures on what that brings their over all donation percentage to)
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 11:51 AM

There was a food bank in the entrance lobby of a Tesco in a nearby town. No one was policing it and anyone could have helped themselves to it. There was a rumour, that some scum were pinching it and selling it on to others.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Yes I donate at Our local Tesco,mainly toiletries like soap/toothpaste/shampoo etc..I remember a time 50 yrs ago when My 3 Children and I were very poor and these were the things I couldn't afford to buy...The food bank there is NOT at the entrance,but right in front of all the checkouts..so no pinching occurs...who the hell would want to steal free food!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
There was a food bank in the entrance lobby of a Tesco in a nearby town. No one was policing it and anyone could have helped themselves to it. There was a rumour, that some scum were pinching it and selling it on to others.
Bloody Waitrose.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-07-2018, 12:11 PM

I know that Aldi do
And Tesco and Waitrose have upped their donations by 16% this year (but I can't find reliable figures on what that brings their over all donation percentage to)
Oh well that's good. I wasn't expecting figures but it's good to know that the supermarkets themselves donate.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

01-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Yes I donate at Our local Tesco,mainly toiletries like soap/toothpaste/shampoo etc..I remember a time 50 yrs ago when My 3 Children and I were very poor and these were the things I couldn't afford to buy...The food bank there is NOT at the entrance,but right in front of all the checkouts..so no pinching occurs...who the hell would want to steal free food!!
Ah!
(Puts five-pack soaps on shopping list)...
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:15 PM

Ah!
(Puts five-pack soaps on shopping list)...
You're a good Girl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top