Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:41 AM

How Do You Like Your Boiled Egg?

I took delivery of my lovely fresh eggs from my hairdresser yesterday (her husband runs a farm) so this morning I decided to treat myself to a Boiled Egg with wholemeal toasted soldiers for my brekkie.

Whilst tucking into my egg, I got to thinking...I wonder how many people time their egg the same as me.
I must be one of the fussiest people on earth when it comes to my egg having to be absolutely perfect.

One always assumes that a 3 or a 3.1/2 minute from boiling is the norm. Not for me it isn't. Once my little saucepan of water is bubbling I gently lower the egg in and put my timer on for exactly 5.1/2 minutes. The moment that time is up, I take it out of the saucepan and into my egg cup, but...... never with the narrow pointy side showing, it has to be the largest part of the egg showing. One swift swoop with my little sharp knife and hey presto, a perfect boiled egg exactly to my liking. The white is cooked to absolute perfection with no jelly like undercook (UGH!) and the golden yolk is partly hard on the outer but still soft enough in the centre to dip my wholemeal soldiers in. I couldn't eat it unless it was cooked exactly the way it has to be done.

Oh God Mary, get a life!!

How do you like your boiled egg(s)? Are you as fussy as me, or am I a minority nutcase?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:44 AM

Re: How Do You Like Your Boiled Egg?

I'm fussy, I don't like boiled eggs!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I took delivery of my lovely fresh eggs from my hairdresser yesterday (her husband runs a farm) so this morning I decided to treat myself to a Boiled Egg with wholemeal toasted soldiers for my brekkie.

Whilst tucking into my egg, I got to thinking...I wonder how many people time their egg the same as me.
I must be one of the fussiest people on earth when it comes to my egg having to be absolutely perfect.

One always assumes that a 3 or a 3.1/2 minute from boiling is the norm. Not for me it isn't. Once my little saucepan of water is bubbling I gently lower the egg in and put my timer on for exactly 5.1/2 minutes. The moment that time is up, I take it out of the saucepan and into my egg cup, but...... never with the narrow pointy side showing, it has to be the largest part of the egg showing. One swift swoop with my little sharp knife and hey presto, a perfect boiled egg exactly to my liking. The white is cooked to absolute perfection with no jelly like undercook (UGH!) and the golden yolk is partly hard on the outer but still soft enough in the centre to dip my wholemeal soldiers in. I couldn't eat it unless it was cooked exactly the way it has to be done.

Oh God Mary, get a life!!

How do you like your boiled egg(s)? Are you as fussy as me, or am I a minority nutcase?

Wrapped in sausage meat and bread crumbs and fried!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:49 AM

Sacrilege Mags! you don't know what you are missing.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-06-2017, 09:51 AM

OMG UJ, how many calories is that????? Bet it tastes yum though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:12 AM

I like a 4.5 minutes egg if I'm boiling it but I use an egg boiler so it's the medium setting on that. Has to be bread and butter with it not toast, and it has to be blunt side upwards.

I'm not fussy but no one else will boil me an egg I always find something they did wrong
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:14 AM

SG, You think you are fussy! Well, I must be obsessive!
I am lucky to have my own beautiful tasting eggs from my five hens!
I am very fussy about my boiled egg! I choose an egg that is approx one week old. I don't like them too fresh!
Whilst the water is coming to boiling point in the ancient saucepan, l butter the in-store bakery, Sainsbury's Taste The Difference slices of seeded brown bread.
I pierce a hole in the bottom of the egg and gently lower it down into the boiling water. I set the timer for 4 minutes, or 5 minutes for my jumbo sized eggs!
I get the egg cup ready on a plate and search for my favourite egg spoon in the cutlery drawer!
Ping, goes the timer and l lift my egg out of the saucepan and into the egg cup. I tap the top of the egg with my favourite egg spoon and lift the top off, no smashing the top and picking the bits of shell off for me!!
I sit at the kitchen table and eat my egg with a tiny bit of salt sprinkled on the yolk wth my brown bread. Sometimes, l have soldiers!
Absolutely delish!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

You have just described my perfect boiled egg so - no - I do not think you are fussy - I think you have good taste !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Hoorah Art and Silver Tabby, I knew there were kindred spirits out there when it came to nothing acceptable but perfection when it came to boiling an egg
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Unless I am doing hard boiled eggs, for some reason, I much prefer poached eggs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top