Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:27 PM

What price life?

Would you have surgery if it meant saving your life,?Two of my friends say they will/would not have surgery at any price ,even to save their lives,while another friend is soon to have a big operation on her back, and I have had various bits and pieces done to my body over the years [not for beauty I hasten to add ]
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Re: What price life?

It depends on your state of mind I suppose.
I love life & definitely want to hang on to it as long as possible - so yes I would have any amount of surgery.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Would you have surgery if it meant saving your life,?Two of my friends say they will/would not have surgery at any price ,even to save their lives,while another friend is soon to have a big operation on her back, and I have had various bits and pieces done to my body over the years [not for beauty I hasten to add ]

Absolutely darlin' - I'm what's known as a 'frequent flyer' in my local hospital, have had both hips and both knees replaced due to arthritis. Have had a disasterous few months and been to and fro to the hospital several times a week and several consultants looking after me.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:38 PM

I've had both my ears fixed (stapedectomies, or whatever they're called) as well as my nose repaired to help my sinuses to drain. Have also had my broken arm repaired (plated) and when I asked if I could have this done under local anaesthetic so I could watch, the consultant told me, and I quote: "I can guarantee that you won't want to be around when we're in there"

I have no problem with going under the knife.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:39 PM

deylon, only the person who needs to have the operation can answer that. They will have been advised of the risks involved and the benefits it can give... so everybody should decide, but only when they have all the info.
Sometimes an operation can save your life, so for me I would have the surgery unless the danger risk was too high... but in each case only the person , who's life it involves, can make the best decision for themselves.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I've had both my ears fixed (stapedectomies, or whatever they're called) as well as my nose repaired to help my sinuses to drain. Have also had my broken arm repaired (plated) and when I asked if I could have this done under local anaesthetic so I could watch, the consultant told me, and I quote: "I can guarantee that you won't want to be around when we're in there"

I have no problem with going under the knife.

I didn't have too much choice - because of damage to my lungs - general anaesthetic was not an option, so all four joints were done under an epidural - I was conscious throughout each one, could hear, but not feel, the bone saw and the vibration of it and the hammer when the surgeon hammered in the metal joints into place.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Surgery wouldn't bother me ...
But ..
I would hesitate to have a transplant. Call me funny or squeamish but I wouldn't fancy a stranger's organ inside me.

I even feel a bit the same about a blood transfusion so it's to be hoped I never need one.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

03-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Surgery wouldn't bother me ...
But ..
I would hesitate to have a transplant. Call me funny or squeamish but I wouldn't fancy a stranger's organ inside me.

I even feel a bit the same about a blood transfusion so it's to be hoped I never need one.

I got some of my own back. For thirty years I was a blood donor, but during my current illness have had to have five bags of plasma transfused into me. Its not the thought of the transfusion per se, but those cannnular's flipping hurt!!!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 06:54 PM

Ive been given a 50 per cent of surviving the op i need , the surgeon said he wont operate till its really necessary,
Ive decided to live each day as it comes , I no longer go for the check ups i need , Id rather die on my Days out and have stopped thinking of the
Operating table which was getting me down ..
I carry a Hospital letter which says whats wrong with me if the worse should happen why im out then who ever finds me will know .
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2017, 07:30 PM

I am so sorry to hear your news Eliza,you are one brave lady,I wish you all the best and hope you are not suffering too much.My niece had Cancer but near the end decided she didnt want any more treatment,knowing nothing more could be done for her,she died at home with her family near

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top