Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Shooting Syndicates

We had a post on here a few days ago about this, but I can't find it now.

I was just out with my dogs this afternoon, walking along a bridleway between fields and enjoying the late sun and the silence.
All of a sudden there was a shout from the other side of the hedge and a gun went off, frightened the life out of me. It echoed across the empty fields and woods and nearly popped my eardrums!
Next minute, all hell broke loose. Guns going off like bangers on firework night, blokes shouting and hollering and waving sticks and empty fertilizer bags about. Dogs everywhere.
Yes, you guessed it, it was the bloody shooting syndicate again, out killing defenceless birds for a bit of fun.

I was not only very nervous because I couldn't see which way they were shooting, but I was also furious.
Nest minute a Collie dog broke loose from somewhere, and was running like a thing possessed. It dashed down the dyke and away across the fields in the opposite direction to the guns at a furious rate. It looked terrified.

I called my lot in quickly and got their leads on and starting heading back down the bridleway to where I'd left my car some distance away, all the time waiting for a bullet to whizz past my ear, or worse, hit my dogs.

When I got nearly to safety, I saw 2 of the men climbing over a style, looking very smug and pleased with themselves, and putting their guns away. I told them about the terrified dog I'd seen. One said it was the farm dog from nearby and they had phoned the farm.

I asked this great oaf if I was safe walking where I had been, and was told - "You should be"!!
I said it was a public bridlepath and they shouldn't be shooting towards it in the first place.
Then while I was in the mood I also said to him - "Have you no conscience, out shooting small birds, what have they ever done to you?"
He just smirked and walk off. . . .

When I got further up the road there were hoards of them tramping through the woods and fields, with their dogs and guns at the ready.
I could have wept for those birds that never got home.

If I could, I'd put a curse on all shooting syndicates everywhere.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Re: Shooting Syndicates

Shooting near footpaths

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 makes it an offence without lawful authority or excuse to discharge any firearm within 50 feet of the centre of the highway and in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured, interrerupted or endangered.

Out of interest I am a member of the CPPS, may be worth joining.

Oh what is the CPPS you ask?

It is the CLAY PIGEON PROTECTION SOCIETY
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 05:44 PM

I have had the same thing last year Mups a couple of lads shooting woodpigeon I guess but I couldn't see them only hear the shots and it scared me to death .

When Chloe is off lead and running through the grass at speed she looks a bit like a rabbit from a distance.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 05:47 PM

We had a post on here a few days ago about this, but I can't find it now.

Hi Mups .... it was Abbey‘s post on the Scottish Member‘s thread
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 05:48 PM

I have been there. Quietly fishing when all hell broke loose on the other side of the river. Some effing eejit followed the bird and not his brain(if he had one). The pellets hit the trees not 20 yards from me-that is too close.

I later spoke to the farmer who owned the land. I did get an apology from the person in charge and six and a half brace of pheasants. But that is not the point. Shooting is legal but have some sense will you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have had the same thing last year Mups a couple of lads shooting woodpigeon I guess but I couldn't see them only hear the shots and it scared me to death .

When Chloe is off lead and running through the grass at speed she looks a bit like a rabbit from a distance.

Yes Meg, that's the same as mine, all grey and fluffy.
It really unnerved me because they were only the other side of the hedge to me.

Myrtle Thanks for that. I couldn't remember who had posted it. x
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 06:55 PM

If I were you I'd phone the police . I'm pretty sure they should not be shooting anywhere they are likely to injure a memebr of the public .

I do believe that anyone who wants to shoot and kill any bird or animal just for fun is seriously disturbed .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
If I were you I'd phone the police . I'm pretty sure they should not be shooting anywhere they are likely to injure a memebr of the public .

I do believe that anyone who wants to shoot and kill any bird or animal just for fun is seriously disturbed .
Totally agree, and I say that as a shooter of circa 40 years.
I love shooting, but it's clays or some kind of target shooting - never animals.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 11:49 PM

I suspect they do it for the same reason as those brave Americans you keep seeing in the papers, standing with their guns over some poor wild animal (I remember a lion and a giraffe recently): it gives them a feeling of pride and superiority.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-11-2016, 12:10 AM

They make me sick to the bones JBR.

Abbey
, I might do that, speak to the police I mean.
It is a lovely peaceful walk along that path and now I feel very nervous about going back because the shooting season will go on for many months yet.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top