Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 02:04 AM

Anybody work/has worked a night shift?

How do/did you adjust to it?

What was your sleeping pattern like, and did you arrange different meals from what you would normally eat during the day?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 07:23 AM

Re: Anybody work/has worked a night shift?

I think it was around 1970 (I was in my mid-twenties) when I got a job updating fruit machines so they complied with some new gaming laws. This involved starting work at 7.00 PM and finishing at around 4.00 AM next morning.

This wasn't the only job I had at the time. It was in addition to my day job. I'd go home from the night job as the sun was rising, get some sleep and breakfast, then get to work for a 9.00 AM start. I did this for about 6 months. Further meals were sandwiches at lunchtime and a dinner just before going to work in the evening.

It was OK working at night. Once actually involved in doing the job, the time of day/night wasn't thought about very much.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 07:30 AM

No never worked a night shift, but have worked Ghosters, 24 hour shifts. Although tiring i did like the nigh time as the site was much more peaceful.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 07:35 AM

My husband used to work nights. The worst thing is adjusting at the weekend when you sleep for two nights. Other than that he was ok.
He never wanted any food when he came in from work - he'd go straight to bed.
He'd get up about 4.00pm to see a bit of daylight - then have a proper dinner at 6.00 and off to work at 9.30.pm.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 08:07 AM

My youngest son is working night shifts atm...I take him into work for either 9 or 10pm and he finishes at 6 or 7am in the mornings...he comes in and has breakfast and then goes to bed around 9.30am then sleeps until around 4-5pm then has food for tea and possibly another nap until around half hour before leaving for work again...he doesnt alter his sleeping pattern at all even on days off ,he says it helps him better to stick to the same routine....
He has already lost 2 and a half stone as his eating patterns are all to cock...he prefers to sleep rather than eat.
He sought out a night job as this is what he preferred.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

What was your sleeping pattern like, and did you arrange different meals from what you would normally eat during the day?
I have worked nights usually only three in a row.
I didn't alter my normal diet .
I tried to have a sleep when I got home and usually managing about five hours then carried on as I would normally.

In some jobs I was required to stay up for just one night then I carried on as normal through the next day.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

Been doing them for 41 yrs,you never adjust,as one gets older they become more difficult,have worked mostly doing a 4 on 4 off shift pattern alternating days and nights.8 til 8,home in the morning breakfast, shower,bed some days you can sleep for 4 hrs and feel good another day one could sleep for 8 hrs and feel like crap.No two days are the same as regards sleep.Used to do 6 in a row sometimes,money and all that.
Now on a shift pattern of Monday to Thursday 4 days one week,then 3 nights the next.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 09:02 AM

I did about 6 weeks of night shifts a few years back.
It was no fun bricklaying with massive lights creating false illumination, the shadows cast were a nightmare.

I couldn't get into a decent sleep pattern and was absolutely dead on my feet by the end of it.

Never again.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Used to do nights 5 a week, diet stayed reasonably the same, I used yo get home at 7am and go to bed until 10am then go out to care for my nan, back home at 2pm and usually dropped off to sleep in an armchair until kids came home from school at 3.30pm.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Been doing them for 41 yrs,you never adjust,as one gets older they become more difficult,have worked mostly doing a 4 on 4 off shift pattern alternating days and nights.8 til 8,home in the morning breakfast, shower,bed some days you can sleep for 4 hrs and feel good another day one could sleep for 8 hrs and feel like crap.No two days are the same as regards sleep.Used to do 6 in a row sometimes,money and all that.
Now on a shift pattern of Monday to Thursday 4 days one week,then 3 nights the next.
41 years!! And I was just about to say I've just started my 11th year on nights, permanent, no day shifts.

I work Sun-Thurs, 10pm-6am.

As you say, you never really get used to them, my sleeping pattern and body clock is all over the place especially at the weekend when I'm up and about in the middle of the night.
I'm basically doing it as I'm in a financial mess and trying to pay off a massive loan. Another four years should see me through, if I survive that long!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top