Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 12:21 AM

An army career

I was a older persons meeting this afternoon, and they had a guest speaker talking about his army career.
I thought it might get the fidgets, but he turned out an interesting man.

He said his father was a Nigerian and his mother was white.
Years ago when he was conceived a white woman going with a black man was considered so shameful, that his birth was kept a secret and he remained a secret for 36 years.

He said he was a 'difficult child', always in trouble and rather a handful for his foster family.
Eventually at the young age of just 15 his foster father made him sign up to go in the army.
I had no idea kids that young could do that, but he did.

He took to it like a duck to water and worked hard.
He got on so well in the army, he got promoted again and again. He showed lots of pictures on a screen of him meeting the Queen Mother, and Sarah Ferguson, and doing lots of sports and presentations. He excelled at sport and fitness training too.
He also did medical training and at the tender age of 19 even had to deliver a baby in the back of an ambulance !
That lady tracked him down years later to thank him.

I believe he is in his early 50's now, and still in uniform looking immaculate. I noticed when he was packing all his stuff away at the end of the talk, how precise he was that everything was folded perfectly and packed exactly right.
His shoes were perfectly shined, and every button sparkled.

Anyway, what I thought might be a bit boring, actually turned out to be a very pleasant afternoon, and I couldn't help but feel glad that this once little boy that no body had wanted finally made good for himself.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 12:44 AM

Re: An army career

Interesting and heartening story and the army life can indeed suit some people but it is not for everyone. I have friends who "put some in" and did very well but I also know of older people who were conscripted during National Service days and never really got over it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 12:46 AM

Oh, I forgot to tell you, he tracked down his biological father one day too.
It turned out his father was the king of a tribe in Nigeria.
When this soldier went to meet his father for the first time, he said over 3,000 people he father ruled over, all turned out to greet him. He showed us a photo of his father sitting on a his 'throne.'
Ambre
N/A
Ambre is female  Ambre has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 07:56 AM

Lovely story, thank you Mups, Army life can be great if you get through the training which is quite hard, especially for today's youngsters many of whom are not used to discipline, it can provide a sense of security and a substitute 'family' for many who's life is lacking in these elements

I remember watching a TV series called 'Bad lads Army' about new recruits, following them through their training, a few didn't last five minutes but it was interesting to watch the rest develop, see the change in them over the weeks and their pride when they reached the passing out parade
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:10 AM

the thing i missed most on leaveing was, the mates you made,missed all the laughs,and day to day banter,,
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Ambre ->
Lovely story, thank you Mups, Army life can be great if you get through the training which is quite hard especially for today's youngsters many of whom are not used to discipline, it can provide a sense of security and a substitute 'family' for many who's life is lacking in these elements
Quite hard, I've heard many a description but most wouldn't say that a

Originally Posted by doctor ->
the thing i missed most on leaveing was, the mates you made,missed all the laughs,and day to day banter,,
The camaraderie can't be beaten, I know exactly where you are coming from.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:28 AM

That was good to read about.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:49 AM

Enjoyable reading
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 08:52 AM

Such a lovely story Mups, it's wonderful to hear how some people can turn their lives around for the better.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2016, 10:44 AM

Lovely story mups, Jordan is in the army doing better than I ever thought, he was determined from an early age it was what he wanted so he spent his time as a teen preparing that meant he kept out of trouble which was great we thought as many of his peers got themselves into all sorts of problems !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top