Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:08 PM

Joining the Army

There are some men on here who will know far more about this subject than I do, so perhaps they can explain what's going on?

I have been reading about the enormous current recruiting problems the Army are having.

Apparently official figures show that a record high of around 100,000 people tried to join last year, that is a heck of a lot surely. Yet fewer than 7,500 actually ever became soldiers.

It said that thousands of young hopefuls dropped out because of delays and red tape, because it was taking an average of 300 days from first contact before finally becoming a soldier.

It seems an over-beaurocratic system is in place now, since recruitment was outsourced to private firm 'Capita'.

A source said: "How can you go from 100,000 trying to join, to less than 8,000 signing up defies belief. This has left the Army with a manpower crisis. The Army and Capita have turned recruitment into a faceless, beaurocractic nightmare."

Now I don't know the answers to this, but surely this can't be allowed to go on, especially with all the increasing troubles in the world?
Tezza
Kent
Tezza is male  Tezza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:23 PM

Re: Joining the Army

If there was a breakdown of figures handy it would probably show that of the 100,000 who applied a large % changed their minds and others simply weren’t suitable. It does suggest that perhaps recruiting should go back into the forces hands. All I know is when I was called up for NS the whole process took about 3 months from letter to being in. Perhaps they should re-introduce a form of NS.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:30 PM

From what Jordan went through to get in I'd say there are more problems than that, it cost over £500 to do the various tests he needed, that's not easy if you going in off the dole and isn't returnable if you fail. We paid half he paid other half to get him seen.

Then yes takes ages to get through the system but he was determined and was working while he waited so just carried on working.

He then thankfully passed the fitness bit, lots don't. He also passed the mental tests again they won't take anyone that's too gung-ho or not fit.

From start to finish took eight months.

IMO while a long time it did give him chance to back out if he changed his mind.

Hes very happy but he doesn't feel very safe with all the cutbacks, as people leave they are rarely if ever replaced, cost cutting means equipment is used past its life really, and boots ? Well let's just say he hasn't had a pair of boots in two years they are all providing their own.

Why would anyone not really serious about a career in the army bother ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tezza ->
If there was a breakdown of figures handy it would probably show that of the 100,000 who applied a large % changed their minds and others simply weren’t suitable. It does suggest that perhaps recruiting should go back into the forces hands. All I know is when I was called up for NS the whole process took about 3 months from letter to being in. Perhaps they should re-introduce a form of NS.

Thing is Tezza, now they are saying that too much red tape means it is taking an everage of 42 weeks! That's a heck of a difference from your 12 weeks isn't it, so surely something can't be right.

I don't doubt that many would have been turned down for different reasons, but that part is unavoidable.

Apparently this privatised system was set up to "modernise" the system, - with 'online recruitment and call centres replacing the tradition of having serving officers in high street recruitment offices'.

Quote - Army insiders said an overhaul of recruitment is now looming. The Call Centres and online appl;ications will still remain, but they are considering putting soldiers back into recruiting officers too." Unquote.

So from that I would imagine they can see it is not working.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 03:55 PM

I think years ago young boys probably joined the army to learn a trade and see the world. Some young offenders would join too, probably to stay out of prison?

I also think, many thought they would never have to go to war! Then along came the wars in Bosnia, lraq, Afghanistan and then Iraq again.

I mean, what young teenager in their right mind would want to join up and become gun fodder and see their best mates killed?

Then come back to the uk where the government don’t seem to care and they end up homeless and living on the streets.

That’s my take on it but l may be totally wrong!!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Capita incompetence is not news anymore.
Unlike the old days where the point of contact was between the recruitee and a qualified serving recruiter we now have a computer screen, which does not work and is not fit for purpose.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...roject_borked/
RAF Recruiting has mostly ceased, there has been no recruiting into the Army since Dec last year.
Capita were also responsible for the upkeep of barracks and married soldiers quarters, the poor state of the accommodation has also led to a drop in recruitment figures
https://www.forces.net/news/tri-serv...own-poor-homes
If you are aware of anyone wanting to join the Armed Forces persuade them not too. Morale, pay and conditions are at a new low.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-02-2018, 04:14 PM

Aha, I knew you'd know about such things Rehab, and was hoping you'd stop by.
Not sure, but I think it was back in 2012 this Capita thing was started.

You say about persuading youngstes not to jolin up, but what would happen if no one did any more?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
From what Jordan went through to get in I'd say there are more problems than that, it cost over £500 to do the various tests he needed, that's not easy if you going in off the dole and isn't returnable if you fail. We paid half he paid other half to get him seen.

Then yes takes ages to get through the system but he was determined and was working while he waited so just carried on working.

He then thankfully passed the fitness bit, lots don't. He also passed the mental tests again they won't take anyone that's too gung-ho or not fit.

From start to finish took eight months.

IMO while a long time it did give him chance to back out if he changed his mind.

Hes very happy but he doesn't feel very safe with all the cutbacks, as people leave they are rarely if ever replaced, cost cutting means equipment is used past its life really, and boots ? Well let's just say he hasn't had a pair of boots in two years they are all providing their own.

Why would anyone not really serious about a career in the army bother ?
Buying your own boots is a must........far better than issue.

Grenades? not in my humble opinion.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Aha, I knew you'd know about such things Rehab, and was hoping you'd stop by.
Not sure, but I think it was back in 2012 this Capita thing was started.

You say about persuading youngstes not to jolin up, but what would happen if no one did any more?

1. And which Political party was in charge of all this in 2012 hmmm??? - none other than the scumbag 'nasty party' who incidentally has always professed to be 'strong' on defence. I wonder which scumbag 'nasty party' MP is a Director of or has a substantial share ownership in Capita ??? - scumbags looking after their own are they???

2. If no-one joined the armed forces, we'd have to flog off (probably at knock down prices) all the expensive equipment the armed forces own and then we'd be more behoven to NATO and the Americans than we currently are.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:31 PM

That’s about right 2012 although the new online recruiting system went live last year, rather that running it alongside the military recruiting system to ensure it worked ok Capita insisted that the Military computer be closed and theirs would take over, it didn’t work.
The recruiting fiasco suits the government plan to reduce the military. The Royal Marine Commandos are next in line to be chopped.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top