Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 09:55 PM

Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

Or do you believe that life is simply a series of events that happen according to the current situation and how situations present themselves?

I used to believe everything happened for a reason; that there was a specific reason for this and for that. Now I'm not so sure. Not that it's a big deal, but if you truly believe there's a reason for everything, it makes life a little easier to cope with. Or at least that's how I looked at it. That doesn't necessarily mean there's an explanation for everything that happens - but if you believe there's a reason it happened, whether good or bad, then it's a little more explainable. If that makes any sense

Whatever the case, what do you believe? Is it fate? Or just coincidence? No specific reason for asking, really, I'm just really curious to know what you all think.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:44 PM

Re: Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

Oh that's a bit deep Linda

I'm sure I don't think like most people - I just deal with whatever happens to me without thinking why it happens. I s'pose I believe life is just a series of events before you pop your clogs.

But if anything happens to a friend or my daughter and they're upset about it, I tend to use that phrase 'everything happens for a reason' and I do genuinely believe that when discussing the situation!

Guess I'm just an oddball or I've got to heads
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:50 PM

Do you believe everything happens for a reason?
I always think that is such an odd thing for people to say .

Things happen, that is the reason they happen
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:53 PM

Yup, I completely agree, Meg.

It's like saying, 'Her time was up.' or 'Bad luck happens in three's'.

There's no such thing as fate.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Oh that's a bit deep Linda

I'm sure I don't think like most people - I just deal with whatever happens to me without thinking why it happens. I s'pose I believe life is just a series of events before you pop your clogs.

But if anything happens to a friend or my daughter and they're upset about it, I tend to use that phrase 'everything happens for a reason' and I do genuinely believe that when discussing the situation!

Guess I'm just an oddball or I've got to heads
Nope, I'm exactly the same way. I say it too and I believe it at the time, but I'm not sure I REALLY believe it.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I always think that is such an odd thing for people to say .

Things happen, that is the reason they happen
Well, that's not really what I meant. Like, if I fall and break my leg, was I meant to because perhaps in 3 days if I would be out walking down the street, I'd be hit by the car who lost control and ran up on the sidewalk?

Linda0818
USA

26-03-2016, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Yup, I completely agree, Meg.

It's like saying, 'Her time was up.' or 'Bad luck happens in three's'.

There's no such thing as fate.
Yes! That's what I'm talking about. Especially the "her time was up" thing. Rubbish. Because, for example, if a plane goes down carrying 500 people and all 500 people die, what are the real chances that 500 people whose times were 'up' all happened to be on the same plane at the same time?
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Well, that's not really what I meant. Like, if I fall and break my leg, was I meant to because perhaps in 3 days if I would be out walking down the street, I'd be hit by the car who lost control and ran up on the sidewalk?

Somehow, that reminds me of that film with James Stewart and his angel
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
No Linda I don't think you were 'meant to' it was a random occurrence it just happened

If you were 'meant to' that would suggest happenings are pre-ordained and someone pre-ordained them.

I don't believe in gods or devils so there is no one in my world to pre-ordain 'everything' they are random occurrences
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 11:44 PM

I do not believe I am a random being. Another words a chance happening. Thus, every step that I take in life creates a reaction and a purpose. So yes, things for me, do happen for a reason.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 11:46 PM

I believe in Fete, in fact, I have been to a few.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top