Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 08:32 AM

Horse Flies

Here in Norfolk we seem to have a plague of Horse flies it must be this hot weather. When i am sat in the garden i keep a fly swat close by as these Horse flies have a very nasty bite. I know they have always been around but this year there does seem to be more. Are you being invaded by these pests?🐝
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 09:44 AM

Re: Horse Flies

Hate hate hate them! They have a habit of getting me when I'm mowing the lawn.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Horrible things. I got a nasty bite from one as a child and had a very badly infected leg. I donīt know if we get them here, but then everything that flies here seems to have teeth !
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Not seen any here. At the farm they use a long lasting spray over the yards which does a good job keeping the ornery pests away. Also plant fly larva that prevent reproduction. It is a constant fight but a horse bitten sometimes does things to hurt their handlers. With little ones around the horses they feel anything to prevent trouble is good.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 10:50 AM

I've never heard of horse flies. Are they similar to a bluebottle?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 10:56 AM

Thankfully I haven't seen any yet Doc, last year we had an invasion of big flying ants, they were all over the garden. Then they suddenly disappeared after two days, nasty buggers they were.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 11:01 AM

I hate these horse flies Doc..I was bitten the other day by some flying insect and now have a lump on my ankle..
We dont seem to have as many houseflies as last year though ..
Good idea to keep a swatter with you when youre in the garden,with the temperature hotting up now its likely to bring out the flies
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I've never heard of horse flies. Are they similar to a bluebottle?
No, Val. They are brown things with a nasty bite and the knack of landing on your skin without your feeling them there until they bite...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 09:55 AM

Never seen a horsefly - outside of "Alice through the Looking Glass" anyway - so had to go and look for them ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse-fly

God Bless Wikipaedia
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 02:22 PM

Surrounded by horses , in fact one is just a few feet away from the garden area where I sit most and never been bitten by one in my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top