Join for free
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 12:44 PM

War stories

Dachau

My grandad was taken a prisoner of war near the end of the war , and he and fellow officer were taken to a holding right next to dachau , he really never talk much about his exprience , but things I can remember was when they got food parcels from the Red Cross , they would sneak out of the night and throw food over to the jews, as he said they needed it more, and of a night there was a glow were the ss would burn the bodies , he said when the Germans fled whom was keeping him and his mate as prinsoers because the yanks was on the way , he and his mates enter dachau with the yanks , he said what they witness they couldn't take it in that humans can do that to other humans , he also said the ss guards either fleed or change into Civilian clothing and mingle in , he said everyone went on a rampage and looting the officers mess ect, and excuted the guards on the spot , he said his biggest regret was giving the worst starving jews potatoes to eat , they died because they couldn't digest raw potatoes , but they thought they were helping them

I saw a artical in the mail about dachau and thought I share my granddad had witness
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Re: War stories

Hideous times - unbelievable to comprehend
Can't bear to think of it
I do watch the amazing stories of the soldiers and their attempts to escape also the remarkable everyday people that hid the Jews in their homes
Today - we have the equivalent to deal with - very sad - such a beautiful world we live in yet not seen by some ................
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 02:10 PM

If all wars were to cease and the same effort put into improving people's standard of living just think what might be achievable !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 02:44 PM

I agree Alan sadly we don't seem able to just agree to differ and live and let live so on it goes one war after another.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
If all wars were to cease and the same effort put into improving people's standard of living just think what might be achievable !
Amen to that if all the money spent on improving ways to kill were put into ways to cure, again what might be achievable
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 03:33 PM

I've been to visit Dachau and I found it very 'sanitised'. It didn't really give much impression of how terrible it must have been. Unlike other camps, Dachau was supposed to be an 'internment camp', but that didn't stop the killing.

Disturbingly, when I first went to live in Germany, there was still a lot of Anti-Semitism and support for the far right. You still see traces of it today.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 04:13 PM

My late ex husband and a couple of friends wanted to visit Dachau whilst we were holidaying on the continent. The friends and my ex went in to see for themselves and I sat outside in the car, felt it was bad enough sitting that close to the high walls. This was back in 1972. I wondered what the little old fellow tending his garden next door thought of visitors visiting this horrible scene witness to such decadence. Not sure that is the way to describe it but I found it chilling just being outside the walls.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2015, 05:27 PM

I grew up with a few Polish families in our little village-most men had escaped and had flew for the RAF. All had lost so many and yet today we see some saying `send them home`

My tales go back to WW1-but who remembers the fire step and the shelling?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top