Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:20 AM

Washing Machines

How long have you had your washing machine? Did you take out an extended guarantee when you bought it?

Mine is starting to play up and not spinning properly at the moment, but I'm not really sure how long we should expect these things to live?
Why do things always go wrong 'out of hours'!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 02:58 AM

Re: Washing Machines

Originally Posted by Mups ->
How long have you had your washing machine? Did you take out an extended guarantee when you bought it?

Mine is starting to play up and not spinning properly at the moment, but I'm not really sure how long we should expect these things to live?
Why do things always go wrong 'out of hours'!
Mine is my second one in 35 years - its a Hoover (they make much better washing machines than vacuums, their vacuums are rubbish).

It's a 6.5kg top loader, a few years ago the pump sprang a leak so I had it replaced but that is only problem I have had with it. Not sure exactly how old but well over 12 years. Its probably only used a couple of times a week but I jam as much into it as will go.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 03:42 AM

I have a Zanussi Jetstream 6kg front loader that I've had more years than you could shake a stick at! What I particularly like about it is that it does a 54 minute wash which I use most often. I think you'll find that most of them now don't offer a quick wash and many models have a 2 hour wash cycle!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 04:21 AM

Mups, how old is your washing machine?

In my own experience I would expect a washing machine to last for 15+ years at the very least, without having to pay for an extended guarantee because an extended guarantee is for just 5 years and is a total scam. Check with Trades and Standards.

I had to buy a new one in August last year as the old girl finally gave up after 20 years of service.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I have a Zanussi Jetstream 6kg front loader that I've had more years than you could shake a stick at! What I particularly like about it is that it does a 54 minute wash which I use most often. I think you'll find that most of them now don't offer a quick wash and many models have a 2 hour wash cycle!
54 minutes! What on earth is it doing? it must sneak off, have a fag and read a book.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 08:33 AM

Modern machines don't seem to last more than 4 or 5 years, but many are so cheap that you are probably expected to dump them and buy a new one.
I have a Miele which has a 20 minute fast wash.

Extended guarantees are a con.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Modern machines don't seem to last more than 4 or 5 years, but many are so cheap that you are probably expected to dump them and buy a new one.
I have a Miele which has a 20 minute fast wash.

Extended guarantees are a con.

Read a lot about extended guarantees, they are just not worth it ........
We have 3 washing machines here Zanussi make
We have had them 8 years and they are used constantly, they are still going
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 10:01 AM

I have Zanussi when I buy a machine. Had my present one about
6 years now. Doing alright at the moment. My other one I think
conked out due to it being moved from house to another house.
I don't think there are many washing machines nowadays that last
15 years. If they do they are the exception.
I have a quick wash on mine and its a 30minute one and I use that
most of the time and the one with the strong spin is 1 hour.
By the way Bruce mine doesn't smoke yet its too young.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 10:17 AM

Once when my mum was offered a 'lifetime' guarantee, she was asked how long a lifetime was on these products and they said 10 years.
Anything over that you are doing well I would imagine.
I replaced my machine just over a year ago with an LG and have been very pleased with it, the cycle I use takes 1 and a half hours from start to finish, there is a quicker wash cycle and others that take longer.

To answer the question, no I have never taken out an extra guarantee on a washing machine.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2015, 10:31 AM

My current washing machine is a 2 year old Bosch.
Previous machine which it replaced was a 16 year old Bosch.
No I never take out the insurance, I do lots of research and buy a high quality 'Which' approved best buy when purchasing appliances so feel it is not necessary .

My sister has just replaced her Bosch machine too which was 18 years old.

ETA the exception to not buying insurance was my cooker which came from John Lewis and they offered a one off insurance of £70 to extend the manufacturers 2 year insurance to 5 years,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top