Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 01:22 PM

Youth clubs

Listening to Johnny Winter just now took me back to youth clubs. We had a `circuit` based around a bus route-well why not?

Great stuff,listen to records,play table tennis(that was competetive and luckily I was a decent player),net ball for the girls,5 a side footbal for the boys.

Learn how to flirt and have your young heart broken.

It sounds so innocent now I guess but they were some very happy days.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Re: Youth clubs

So true - such happy times
I took some records with me each time, one was Connie Francis (78) and after having a dance, came back and sat on it
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 02:19 PM

Such a shame the youngsters don't have youth clubs to go to, would put so many wrongs 'right'
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 04:12 PM

There are very few youth clubs left in the UK now. They have been decimated by a combination of local authority cuts and moral panic over paedophilia.
When I started my first full-time job as a youth worker back in 1976, my local authority (a London council) ran 20 youth centres and supported hundreds more through a system of grants. My centre was open 7 nights a week and had something like 1000 young people each week coming through the doors for a huge variety of activities. Then in the mid '80's our youth service faced 66% cuts and we lost almost half of our centres. The gradual drip, drip of cuts continued for a couple of decades followed by huge cuts after 2005. Today my authority has just a handful of youth workers and 3 or 4 premises.
As I said, the cuts are only half the problem. Since the growth of paedophile paranoia, the supply of volunteers for youth projects has more or less dried up - who wants to go through the hassle of a police check (which in some authorities the volunteer themselves has to pay for) just to work a couple of hours a week as a football coach or youth leader?
In my 40 years in youth work I came across several paedophiles - all of them had passed their police checks.............
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 04:27 PM

That is so sad to read I`m going back to say,1968-1971. Of course we knew there were `queers` (and I do not mean gay) around but not one was ever a youth club leader. It was an innocent time yes-but maybe not so.

Not for me to name names but a couple of what one at that age might be called `adults` found themselves with a bloody nose. Nobody listened to us so we had to do it ouselves. That was a tiny part though,best to remember the fun we had away from the tyranny of school and parents
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Aah the fond memories of the Youth Club "Social" remember them? A party evening based around dancing to records and silly games.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

24-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Table tennis was serious though,I was 2nd string and won all three games so Marston beat Cranfield. Much kudos and a snog.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 04:52 PM

In those days there were only two types of bat worth having a Victor Barna and a Johnny Leach.
I was known for my deadly backhand flick.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth

24-09-2014, 05:58 PM

And if you were lucky enough to be dancing at one of the “socials” with the young lady who was the light of your young life when Dean Martin’s “le vie en rose” was on the record player then it was truly a magical evening.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I was known for my deadly backhand flick.
I'll have to keep me eye out for that VM.

They were happy days indeed for me OJ, I wasn’t so much into the sporting activities, just the swimming and dancing, we had a great swimming pool, that was the first thing to go for lack of money to heat it, then there was the girls, you couldn’t dance without girls in those days, although a lot of the girls danced with each other, probably because the lads were too shy to ask them, especially the good looking girls.
What a shame there are no youth clubs today, plenty of sports clubs but that’s not the same thing, well I suppose you can’t blame the men and women not going forward to volunteer, fear of being accused of child molesting, why put yourself through all that. I think it’s a shame really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top