Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:12 PM

This Is More Than Grumpy

This is a dangerous situation. I have a friend in Merseyside. I don't know what the laws are in Britain but they have a 92 year miserable old coot of a neighbour who left his gas grill on.

My friend woke up to the smell of gas, called British Gas & she said "the bloke almost got blown out the door". They shut it off obviously & went on their way.

This old fart is a complete ***hole to everyone. He has a son that visits him once /week but won't do anything. This old man will not go into a Care Home. I guess no one can force him?

He sleeps all day, gets up at 6 pm goes to the local pub all evening /night.

He's left water running all night long as well but the gas situation is putting that whole block of houses in danger!

Can anything be done regarding this person? All of the houses are joined together.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:23 PM

Re: This Is More Than Grumpy

He's definitely a danger to live around, but must be compos mentis on other ways if he goes to the pub on his own every night. His son should be taking a bit of responsibility for his dad's actions when it involves gas and water.
Munchkin
Scotland
Munchkin is male  Munchkin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:30 PM

have you thought about contacting maybe Social Services, I would think they would be about the one lot who might be able to do something.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 03:59 PM

AC can you find out to whom the houses belong?

If it is a local authority or Housing Association I would complain to them in writing detailing any incidents including the time and date.

If the house is privately owned social services may be able to help.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 07:10 PM

It's a pity the son couldn't spent a bit more time with the man, keep an eye on him in case he blows the whole block up, maybe someone could organise to have pre cooked meals delivered to him and he wouldn't have to go near the gas, accidents can so easily happen to old people living alone, a few years ago a fellow tippler in my local left at closing time, when he got home he fancied frying a few chips, to make a fat story thin, the place went up and his was so badly burned and in such agony that it was just as well he died a week later.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
This is a dangerous situation. I have a friend in Merseyside. I don't know what the laws are in Britain but they have a 92 year miserable old coot of a neighbour who left his gas grill on.

My friend woke up to the smell of gas, called British Gas & she said "the bloke almost got blown out the door". They shut it off obviously & went on their way.

This old fart is a complete ***hole to everyone. He has a son that visits him once /week but won't do anything. This old man will not go into a Care Home. I guess no one can force him?

He sleeps all day, gets up at 6 pm goes to the local pub all evening /night.

He's left water running all night long as well but the gas situation is putting that whole block of houses in danger!

Can anything be done regarding this person? All of the houses are joined together.
it's a bit harsh to call a 92 year old a miserable old coot, an old fart, and an ***hole, we will all most likely be old and a hindrance to ourselves and others at some stage. There is obviously a problem so the person to confront is his son who should be made aware of the fact that lives are in danger if the man is leaving the gas on etc. I think the local authorities should also be informed.
The fact that he goes to the pub is immaterial, the old man may very well have dementia and have no clue that he is being a danger to others. A no excuses discussion needs to take place if lives are in danger.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2014, 08:31 PM

true Anita, one story's good until another is told
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 12:11 AM

I wonder if he has dementia or is just plain drunk if he's at the pub every night? Maybe he has a tipple or two at home as well, and that's why he leaves gas and water on, who knows. . .
Whatever the cause, it is still a potentially dangerous situation and needs sorting. However, no one can force his son to do his duty. Maybe the son is a lazy git who can't stand his father in the first place. However, for all we know, perhaps the old chap is stubborn and refuses to take any notice of his son whatsoever, so he has long since given up trying and just lets him get on with it. Who knows.
I do agree with the other suggestions that approaching social services might be a good place to start though.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
it's a bit harsh to call a 92 year old a miserable old coot, an old fart, and an ***hole, we will all most likely be old and a hindrance to ourselves and others at some stage. There is obviously a problem so the person to confront is his son who should be made aware of the fact that lives are in danger if the man is leaving the gas on etc. I think the local authorities should also be informed.
The fact that he goes to the pub is immaterial, the old man may very well have dementia and have no clue that he is being a danger to others. A no excuses discussion needs to take place if lives are in danger.
The name calling has nothing to do with age! This man has been recently in trouble with the law for masturbating near a teenaged girl. When the police came to his door, he pulled his pants down in front of the woman cop & tried to ask what harm could he do with "this"? The guy is sick. I don't know all the details regarding him because I've asked her to not bother telling me more stuff about him. Its her neighbour thousands of miles from me, lol. She just informed me that they're getting all electrical appliances in & the gas is being removed. Thanks everyone for your time.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2014, 07:09 AM

I hate to be a prophet of doom but - he can cause just as much damage with electricity if he is careless about cooking etc., an unguarded chip pan can wipe out a whole house! Hopefully they will smoke alarms !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top