Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Naming offspring?

Why do parents chose to give their children similar sounding names? We all know of the famous 'K's' but how about this- my step brother, name of Johnathan, although only his wife uses it and rest of family use his first name. But, here is the odd part, they have three children, a boy, John, another boy Nathan, and finally a girl, Anne. Thus their three children are all in fact named after their dad. Anyone else think yhis is a bit ott?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Re: Naming offspring?

I've never come across this one - wouldn't say its odd though .....not compared to silly names the celebs give their offspring anyway .....
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 05:48 PM

I think it is nice, not at all odd in my opinion.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Have to agree with you on that one, although the names that really get my goat are the ones which have strange spelling. Never sure whether it is because the parents have heard the name but never seen it written down or in print, or whether they are trying to make it more 'original'. For example I noticed the other night on the credits for something (forget what) that one young actress was named 'Shynade'?
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

17-03-2014, 05:51 PM

As far as my step niece and nephews, have often wondered whether it was just a lazy way of ensuring that everyone, dad included came running when mum yelled 'Johnathan'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
As far as my step niece and nephews, have often wondered whether it was just a lazy way of ensuring that everyone, dad included came running when mum yelled 'Johnathan'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-03-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Have to agree with you on that one, although the names that really get my goat are the ones which have strange spelling. Never sure whether it is because the parents have heard the name but never seen it written down or in print, or whether they are trying to make it more 'original'. For example I noticed the other night on the credits for something (forget what) that one young actress was named 'Shynade'?
It irritates me when this is done, is it to make them 'special' by having a different spelling !
It doesn't work, you have to 'be' special - a name aint gonna do it.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 06:35 PM

When my Dad wanted to call the three boys together, we were, John, Tommy and Jimmy, he used to shout out "Jommy", so it's been going around for a long time, I always thought it was a good idea.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 07:26 PM

The ones I cannot understand are the parents who give the child a name and immediately call it something else. For example - my mother wanted to name me Veronica with the intention of calling me Ronnie ! I am glad my Godmother talked her out of that one!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
When my Dad wanted to call the three boys together, we were, John, Tommy and Jimmy, he used to shout out "Jommy", so it's been going around for a long time, I always thought it was a good idea.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top