Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Ambulance Speeding Tickets

Emergency vehicles should be exempt from speed cameras, according to the Scottish Conservatives.

The call comes after figures showed the Scottish Ambulance Service has been issued with more than 2,200 speeding tickets in less than two years.

In order to avoid a fine, ambulance staff must fill out a form to prove they were attending an emergency at the time the vehicle was caught speeding.

The Tories want that process simplified.

Figures obtained through a Freedom of Information request by the Scottish Conservatives, showed that the ambulance service received 1,161 speeding tickets or notifications of speeding tickets in 2012.

Between January and August this year it received 1,062 of these: an average of four ambulances being issued with a ticket every day.

If a speeding ticket is issued for an ambulance, the ambulance service first has to ascertain if the vehicle in question was on an emergency call at the time. If it was, the details of the call-out have to be noted down to ensure no fine is imposed.

The Scottish Conservative's transport spokesman Alex Johnstone said: "This is a substantial administrative chore the Scottish Ambulance Service could surely do without.

"Surely common sense would dictate if an emergency service vehicle breaks the speed limit, there's a very good reason for it. Instead, the situation appears to be the police treat it as normal until the ambulance service can prove beyond reasonable doubt an emergency was being attended.'

Anyone else surprised that ambulances get speeding tickets?

Do you think they should be expempt without question or do you agree that they need to justify that they were attending an emergency?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25527721
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Re: Ambulance Speeding Tickets

I agree with you that they should be exempt - there's far too much form-filling these days. However, if they are involved in an accident while breaking the speed limit they should be treated like anyone else. Speeding is NOT the same as reckless driving.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 01:47 PM

I do agree with your comments Alan - I was just surprised that they have to go through all of that to get the ticket cancelled.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm more than surprised
Never knew this happened .... How ridic !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 02:06 PM

I never even realised they could be ticketed what moron would think that was a good idea ?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 02:19 PM

The only reason I can think of that would not be classed as an emergency would be when the police chase criminals, they could pick them up later if they know what car they're driving. They do need to get to incidents that are happening fast, same as ambulances & fire engines.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 02:24 PM

I dont like police car chases - there has to be a better way, heard something about a new idea, that stalls the engine of the car being chased - hope that comes to fruition ......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 02:27 PM

That's a good idea! Could be something that only work on cars with computers in though.....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Yea - thought of that too, sounds about right doesn't it .....
I know in America - they were testing the 'Harpoon' idea, actually harpooning the car in front !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 02:56 PM

They lay out carpets of nails too to stop the car, seen a few car chases limp on with 4 burst tyres showing how stupid some criminals can be !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top