Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 04:27 PM

When we were kids

I was thinking about what games we played when we were kids, before the computers age struck? Obesity was unheard of in my day.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 04:33 PM

Re: When we were kids

Hop scotch - with friends
Cricket
Running around
Football

I had two older brothers which determined what we played. We were never indoors, I think that why I still love to be outside whatever the weather.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Hop scotch - with friends
Cricket
Running around
Football

I had two older brothers which determined what we played. We were never indoors, I think that why I still love to be outside whatever the weather.
Don't suppose many could play hop scotch nowadays as so many pavements are tarmac instead of slabs, but yes, we played that as well Shirley.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 04:55 PM

I think the difference was that we were made to go outside and play. We rode our bikes, and built forts and played different games involving teams. My girlfriends and I would take off in the morning and our parents didn't expect to see us until lunchtime.. then after dinner, we were out until the streetlights came on. No one was afraid for us to be out. NOW you just cannot let your kids run wild like we did. Too many bad things happen.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Obesity was unheard of in my day.
Obesity certainly was rare among children.
I had a long walk to school and on the way home played swinging over the stream with the aid of a branch and trying not to get wet . I was as thin as a stick myself .

We had an interesting form of hopscotch called 'snail shells' where a large snail shell with sections was drawn with chalk.
Not sure if other children played it or if it was peculiar to Derbyshire.

I played all the seasonal games and did many other things including collected frogspawn, kept newts in a secret place, dug up pig nuts , made a disgusting 'perfume' from flower petals, scrumping apples, made tents with the clothes horse and old sheets,communal skipping with a washing line,french knitting with an old cotton reel and made a nuisance of myself with my older sisters .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-08-2013, 05:16 PM

You brought back some lovely memories for me there Meg, I used to get the frogspawn and newts (loved the Great Crested) and go scrumping etc too.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 05:30 PM

In summer I used to go swimming in a mucky old lake. It's a wonder I never caught the plague !
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
In summer I used to go swimming in a mucky old lake. It's a wonder I never caught the plague !
Nah.... that built up your immune system!!

We used to go down to the railroad tracks and dig a hole and bake potatoes... we would have to run like the dickens when a train came as the railroad men would jump off the caboose and chase kids off the railroad property. It was pretty dangerous too, because there were hobos known to be riding the boxcars.

As far as walking to school.. we did that too.. and walked home and back for lunch. NOW I swear parents would drive the kids right up to their desks if they could.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Oh yes one of our big things wasgetting your coat at playtime putting it on the ground next to the wall and then tuck your gymn slip into your knickers and stand on your head against the wall and talk.When went to the park we hung by the knees on the bar upside down. We also did skipping with a long rope and two or more ran in and out. Oh yes another thing we did was play head over heels down the side of the ship canal in Barton, Manchester. most weeks the canal was dragged for missing children.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You brought back some lovely memories for me there Meg, I used to get the frogspawn and newts (loved the Great Crested) and go scrumping etc too.
Mups I guess we all did similar things in those long lost days of innocence

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top