Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Bilingual toddlers?

I just wonder do they exist
My new grandson is almost 6 months old and is starting to make sounds, trying to talk I think, his Father talks to him in English and his Mother talks to him in Italian (although she is a fluent English speaker) and I'm beginning to worry that the child will be confused and take longer to develop his mind. Far be it for me to interfere with anyone bringing up children, thats their own business, so I keep my mouth shut.
I was wondering has anyone ever had to learn two languages when they were starting to talk, and did it slow you down later in school, or maybe it helped, I'm just curious.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Re: Bilingual toddlers?

From what I've observed Jem - it seems it is a very 'good' thing and an asset for the children. They are using their brain well and truly and usually go on to be more advanced. There are plenty of children that are bi-lingual... now dont you worry Jem - it will all come good ....
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:52 PM

I recall a documentary many years ago,when my now 30 year old was a babe, which was about how in some areas of 'French' Canada, children, some as young as preschoolers, were taught bilingually. Not merely taught French as a language, but taught other subjects in French, they therefore ultimately grew up completely bi-lingual.

Think about it, Spanish babies learn Spanish, German ones, German, etc. as a natural part of growing up; those first few years are actually optimal for learning languages, your grandchild is very lucky to have such sensible and forward thinking parents.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 01:59 PM

I have know a number of children who were bilingual Learning languages as a toddler is absolutely the best way to learn.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Hi Jem my brother married an Italian girl that he met on holiday there. She visited the UK once and stayed for a month. He returned to Italy with her and they were married there. She had a degree in English so she was very fluent but my brother couldn't speak a word of Italian. He took courses and now speaks Italian well. My niece was born two years later and she learned to speak Italian and English from an early age ..... although Italian was her first language. My brother and SIL spoke Italian when in the company of friends but in their home they spoke English, my niece picked up her basic English that way. She continued learning English at school, went on to Univeresity and obtained a degree in English.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 02:38 PM

Phew! as he wipes sweat from brow. Thank you all ladies, your help was most reassuring and appreciated.
Chow chow Bambina, that's about my lot in Italian.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 03:02 PM

I spoke both Gaelic and English in my early years, Coming from the Hebridean Isles as I do, Gaelic was spoken more then English, when my folks moved to the mainland the Gaelic was dropped.....in fact I very seldom hear it spoken even when I'm way up north at my partner's place.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Bella Jemina ........

warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 05:50 PM

My neighbours are Polish and they have a 3yr old boy. When he's talking to mum/dad or aunty he talks in Polish or English, whatever they are talking to him in.
When he sees me he always says 'hello' never anything in Polish.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2013, 06:40 PM

I have bi-lingual twin grandson now aged just 5, they do well in both languages and know which language to use for which person.
We were recently with them on holiday, and I noticed that they generally chattered away between themselves in Romanian, but also on one occasion I caught them speaking to each other in English.

They are also learning German, and have a Mexican lady who comes to clean who speaks to them in Spanish.
I'm told with the 3 languages learnt at an early age, it is then easy for them to learn any language.
They certainly don't seem to be backward in any sense, quite the reverse.

Among our friends, there is one lady who has bi-lingual grandchildren French/English, and they also do very well.

My own youngest son was taught bi-lingually in Welsh/English from the age of 4 as we lived in Wales at that time, he became quite proficient even though we only used English at home, we didn't know welsh anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top