Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 10:11 PM

Any smokers here?

I'm just curious.

I started smoking when I was 16, all those 43 years ago

Back then the risks were still regarded with a pinch of salt since the manufacturers continued to advertise and say good things about them, so that being the case, they couldn't POSSIBLY be lethal, could they!?

Anyway, I started smoking Marlboro Reds in December 1968, I remember the month because I'd just moved into my own house with my new wife (why I was married that young is a long and boring story) and thus could smoke indoors, something my mother never allowed either myself or my father to do in their house. Because of the smell I hasten to add, they were both still unaware of the risks.

Anyway, I put off starting while I still lived with them because I didn't want to have to go outside to smoke but when I got my own house, I thought "hey, I can start now!".

And I did. Boy did I enjoy it - and to a certain extent, I still do.

Now I'm 59 and haven't gone a day without smoking at least a pack of Reds (normally about 3 packs though) and I've had three heart attacks and can't mow my lawn without getting out of breath, plus I have that typical skin colour of a chain smoker.

Yes, not too good. I continue to smoke however because I do still enjoy it as I said and also for the reason I'll tell you.

After I had my first heart attack in 1995 which almost killed me I decided to quit and did for 2 months, but those two months were H-E-L-L.

I had head aches, a short temper, couldn't concentrate and was an awful person to be around so I thought, heck, I'd rather die sooner but live a better life because the life I was living without cigarettes wasn't worth living, really.

I haven't quit again since then and don't plan on doing.

I suppose I may quit sometime down the line if something very bad happened to my health and my life literally depended on it, but until then I don't want to go back to that hell that I suffered for 2 months.

Right, I've droned on too much as always so the point is, are there any other smokers here? I am just interested.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 10:14 PM

Re: Any smokers here?

I used to Smoke, started when my Friends did, we were about 14 I think. I stopped around 15 Years ago. I don't miss it, but I wasn't a heavy smoker, a 20 Pack did me a couple of days.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 10:29 PM

I would imagine that three heart attacks and a shortness of breath would be just a little sign of failing health but, having said that, I also smoke.

I have done since I was 16 and I've got to the point now when, if I'm at a health centre, doctor or whatever and they say "do you smoke?" I've started to reply by saying "yes, how kind of you, thank you very much!"

I'm not crowing here, but I don't have shortness of breath, I can still run upstairs (as fast as any 62 year old can), I don't cough and I've never in my life had a bronchial problem.

It is not a habit I would advocate to anybody and, like you, I tried to give up and it was just awful. I couldn't breathe properly and I was coughing my guts up.

I was brought up with a mum and dad who smoked in the house and mum smoked all through her three pregnancies to have healthy babies.

In April of last year I had a TIA (mild stroke) and the consultant said I should stop smoking. I asked him if smoking had been a direct cause of the TIA. He had to say no, because it wasn't. At least he was being honest.

This may sound like a poor excuse, but I mainly smoke now out of boredom because I live alone and, believe it or not, it's the only "pleasure" I have left.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 10:30 PM

I used to smoke but gave up in 1984 after my mother suffered her first bad stroke. Her doctor told her she must give up smoking or she would be likely to have another stroke.
I told her I would give up cigarettes at the same time to help her. I didn't touch another cigarette since that day but unfortunately my mother didn't have enough willpower to stop and she suffered a further two strokes with the third one being so severe that it was a blessing to see her pass away.

I wouldn't preach to others about giving up the cigs, it is difficult but if you have seen a close member of your family suffer, like I did, giving up was easy.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 10:31 PM

I wish I was like that Roxy!

It does get irritating sometimes having to light up every 15 minutes or so but since I've done it for over 40 years it becomes part of you.

My wife is a bit like you though, she smokes Camel Blues (lights) and a 20 pack lasts her 2 days, she manages to get through a day with just 10 smokes. Amazing! She isn't even addicted that badly, when she had a collapsed lung not too long ago she managed to stay off them for 7 days until it healed.

If I don't have a cig in half an hour I get tetchy!
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

02-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I would imagine that three heart attacks and a shortness of breath would be just a little sign of failing health but, having said that, I also smoke.

I have done since I was 16 and I've got to the point now when, if I'm at a health centre, doctor or whatever and they say "do you smoke?" I've started to reply by saying "yes, how kind of you, thank you very much!"

I'm not crowing here, but I don't have shortness of breath, I can still run upstairs (as fast as any 62 year old can), I don't cough and I've never in my life had a bronchial problem.

It is not a habit I would advocate to anybody and, like you, I tried to give up and it was just awful. I couldn't breathe properly and I was coughing my guts up.

I was brought up with a mum and dad who smoked in the house and mum smoked all through her three pregnancies to have healthy babies.

In April of last year I had a TIA (mild stroke) and the consultant said I should stop smoking. I asked him if smoking had been a direct cause of the TIA. He had to say no, because it wasn't. At least he was being honest.

This may sound like a poor excuse, but I mainly smoke now out of boredom because I live alone and, believe it or not, it's the only "pleasure" I have left.
I totally understand. There is nothing better than a nice cigarette at night to unwind after a long day!

Lucky you not having a cough, I have a very bad smokers cough and have had for about 10 years, plus I have the good ole wheezy laugh that my 2 year old grandson finds hilarious

Contradictory to what people say, after 43 years of 60 a day I still have all but 1 of my own teeth and they are still pretty white. I brush my teeth thoroughly day and night and rinse with Listerine about 4 times a day. To any smokers, I'd advise that, works for me.

You may have read in one of those good morning threads that I had to have some tests done on my lungs, well the tests all came back negative for any diseases (thank God) but they did a "lung capacity" or whatever they call it test on a treadmill and the person who did it said I had the worst results he's ever seen in his 7 years on the job. That hit me hard I have to say as I never thought my breathlessness was any worse than any other heavy smoker but it seems it is.

Still, unless my life depends on it, I'll keep on smoking my cowboy killers.

Boy, after typing that I need another!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 10:51 PM

There are a few of us still left Jim, they never caused me any health problems, but to be honest with you if I had one heart attack I would pack them in for the sake of my Family, why should they have the worry because of my bad habit, I'm strong willed and could stop if I wanted to, as it is I enjoy smoking, I started when I was apprenticed at 14 in 1960. 25 cigarettes and 1 cigar a day is tops with me.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

02-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
There are a few of us still left Jim, they never caused me any health problems, but to be honest with you if I had one heart attack I would pack them in for the sake of my Family, why should they have the worry because of my bad habit, I'm strong willed and could stop if I wanted to, as it is I enjoy smoking, I started when I was apprenticed at 14 in 1960. 25 cigarettes and 1 cigar a day is tops with me.
Well as I said, I did after the first attack but even my own daughter was avoiding me because, and she actually said this to me just before I decided to start again, "dad, whenever I talk to you it is either like talking to a brick wall or you'll shout at me". That did it for me, my own little girl couldn't even talk to me without receiving some sort of bad feedback so I started again and I won't say my family was happy about it, but they were a damn sight happier having the "old Jim" back again.

They couldn't really say much though because all my family (excluding my daughter at that time as she was only 9) did smoke.

Yeah it will kill me one day, but until that day I will live a happy and fulfilled life rather than one where I live to be 100 and everybody hates me because I am grumpy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2012, 11:05 PM

I smoked about 60 a day between 1975 and 1986, I worked shifts and watched the clock, one cigarette ever half hour, like it or not, I realized that I was stressed out, wondering what such a heavy smoking rate was doing to my health so I thought giving up was stressful, but to carry on at this rate was also stressful, so I stopped forthwith. Smoking was great, and to this day, I never judge other smokers, and maybe one day I will start again.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

02-10-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I smoked about 60 a day between 1975 and 1986, I worked shifts and watched the clock, one cigarette ever half hour, like it or not, I realized that I was stressed out, wondering what such a heavy smoking rate was doing to my health so I thought giving up was stressful, but to carry on at this rate was also stressful, so I stopped forthwith. Smoking was great, and to this day, I never judge other smokers, and maybe one day I will start again.
Although I was aware of the risks, I never got stressed about smoking and what it was doing to my health, I knew it wasn't good but it helped keep me going and giving up would have been more of a hindrance.

If you do want to start up again I would recommend not cigarettes (if you've given up I don't advise starting again as despite being a smoker and proud of it I don't advocate taking it up and regret starting it) but perhaps cigars.

Of course they are still dangerous but they are much more enjoyable if you want the taste and not simply the fix.

I am smoking Macanudos at the moment and they are very damn good. They would be better still if my taste buds weren't numbed by Marlboros, but hey ho.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top