Join for free
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 12:14 PM

Can you recommend any cruise companies?

The wife and I haven't had a "proper" holiday for about 5 years now, so I thought I'd treat us to a cruise next year (would be this year but our daughter is due to have a baby in November so don't want to go away before/immediately after that) though I don't know what company to use.

I'm not 100% sure what we want, probably a week at the least going somewhere sunny (does that exist in January/February!?)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Re: Can you recommend any cruise companies?

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
The wife and I haven't had a "proper" holiday for about 5 years now, so I thought I'd treat us to a cruise next year (would be this year but our daughter is due to have a baby in November so don't want to go away before/immediately after that) though I don't know what company to use.

I'm not 100% sure what we want, probably a week at the least going somewhere sunny (does that exist in January/February!?)
Jim matey I would be inclined to leave it a little later into the year, cruises to the sun in January/February are usually in to the Mediterranean (unless you're talking further afield in Florida) which means crossing the Bay of Biscay. At that time of year (Jan/Feb) crossing the Bay of Biscay can be very rough and seriously uncomfortable.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 01:03 PM

I had a good cruise with P & O a few years ago. Nice food, clean & tidy and well organised shore trips and good entertainment
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 02:17 PM

I would recommend P & O as well, my Mum cruises quite a lot and always sails with them....
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2012, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the help folks, and for that piece of information Joe - it's much appreciated.

We do need a holiday though so I think we may fly somewhere in January (perhaps to a friend of the family who lives in Canada) then go for a cruise later in the summer. I suppose that's one of the perks of retirement (see my reply in the Monday thread for more information on that), you get unlimited time for holidays! Just need to convince the wife to retire now
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Our neighbours have been on ten cruises and had 7 insurance claims for lost luggage.

Myself, I would find a nice quiet corner in the UK and chill out, besides, if you find your fellow cruisers obnoxious you can't just up and move to another hotel.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Our neighbours have been on ten cruises and had 7 insurance claims for lost luggage.

Myself, I would find a nice quiet corner in the UK and chill out, besides, if you find your fellow cruisers obnoxious you can't just up and move to another hotel.
Can always pull the plug though Bob.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

23-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Can always pull the plug though Bob.
I find the this works very well:

"Oh look! A dolphin"
"Where?"
"Lean over and you'll see it..."
*Push*
"AAH!"
"Oh deary me, this poor fellow seems to have fallen overboard..."

Not that I've ever done it or anything...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top