Join for free
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Can you still get a shag pile these days?

I bet that made you double take, eh?

Well, sorry to disappoint, I'm not going to reveal my busy and erotic sex life, but rather ask if you can still buy shag pile carpets?

Reason being, when I had my current house built in 1990, instead of buying new carpets, I just took the wall-to-wall shag pile carpets out of our much larger previous house and fitted them since they were still in new condition.

Well, back then they were 15 years old give or take, so now they are 35 years old roughly and I can't ignore it any longer, they are like me, living on borrowed time!

So, I need to replace them, but I don't want the modern carpets which are thin pile, I'd really like to replace them with more shag, but have no idea if you can buy them anymore. I know a lot of stores in my area stocked it in the 70s as that was all the rage, or so I remember, but now all I can find is shag rugs.

I thought people of similar vintage to myself would be of best help.

Thanks.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Re: Can you still get a shag pile these days?

My wife says yes...........you can still buy shag pile.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 06:58 PM

the adverts on the right are for carpets
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 07:02 PM

If you date phillopeno women you need a health check!
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 07:06 PM

I changed it cos the advert changed but it went to Affordable health ins then to date Ymmy Mummies, thought I'd better stop posting 'fore I got in trouble
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 07:25 PM

oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2012, 07:40 PM

Darn it, I missed those adverts!

I'll do some internet searching again and try again, I hope I find something.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Yes seen it over here
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
If you date phillopeno women you need a health check!
I think you meant "you need a spell checker".
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.

30-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Quick update:

Just got a call back from the local carpet fitter and he's managed to source shag pile in my desired colour - brown! Mmm! Not everybody's taste but hey, I liked the 70s.

It won't be cheap (think four figures!) but it comes with a 15 year guarantee so it should outlive me, that is worth the money in my opinion.

Now I just have to get the fitting arranged and get all the heavy wooden furniture out of the living room that has sat in situ since the house was built in 1990. That should be fun.

I'll get my son-in-law over to help, two wheezy chain smokers are better than one

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top