Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Kindle/ordinary books

Which do you prefer?

I have always enjoyed reading and took some persuading that a Kindle would be a good substitute for an ordinary book. However, once I overcame that hurdle I wouldn't go back to the paper variety .

It is so easy to download the books of my choice, which are of course delivered instantly to one's Kindle. The only problem I have with reading, Kindle or otherwise, is that I get through books too quickly. As a teenager, for a bit of fun I did a speed reading course, so I can read a book easily in two days, if not more quickly. I guess I spend about £60 a month on books!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 04:42 PM

Re: Kindle/ordinary books

Yes I'm a quick reader too
Would never go back to books - the Kindle is just great, I keep forgetting how to chapter mark though, must write that down
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 04:45 PM

I got a Kindle fairly recently. I use it exclusively for non-fiction, as I get my fiction either from the library or charity shops. I like to read a chapter or so before making a decision on getting a book, as I am extremely fussy about fiction, and only read the occasional novel.

My friends keep telling me about the cheap deals you can get on novels for Kindle, but I'm not interested, I only find a novel I actually want to read about once or twice a year.

I do find the Kindle extremely useful for non-fiction subjects I am interested in, though. I spend nowhere near the amount you mentioned on books. Probably about £15 or so, averaged out.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 04:55 PM

Each to their own.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 05:09 PM

Kindle for me everytime fantastic.
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 05:27 PM

I read my Kindle in bed and a paper book downstairs,usually an autobiography so I can see the pictures.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 05:34 PM

I haven't got a Kindle but my daughter has.
She says they're great for reading in bed but if trying to read on a sunshine holiday - round the pool or on the beach, a paperback book is better because the sun reflects on the Kindle.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

11-02-2016, 05:40 PM

I have the Kindle which isn't a touch screen. I am dreading the day this one dies on me, and I have to replace it with a touch screen. I find them hard to use, so does my husband.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 05:41 PM

My eyes dont like screens.
I love proper paper books. I love the smell. the typeface and the feel of the paper in my hands.
Kindle and other e-readers might be ok for some but there are those of us that just prefer the old fashioned paper book..
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

11-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
My eyes dont like screens.
I love proper paper books. I love the smell. the typeface and the feel of the paper in my hands.
Kindle and other e-readers might be ok for some but there are those of us that just prefer the old fashioned paper book..
I thought that until I tried a Kindle! The charity shops have done well out of us as we had hundreds of books and have given most away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top