Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
catswhiskers
New Member!
Bristol, UK
catswhiskers is female 

02-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Got my new varifocals

Well, I picked up my new varifocals from Boots Opticians in Nailsea towards the end of last week. I'm a newbie when it comes to varifocals and I've worn contacts for the last 38 years with only occasional glasses use. I was a little worried in case I wouldn't adjust very quickly but I have to say these are amazing. Now I wish I'd gone for varifocals a long time ago.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Re: Got my new varifocals

Good that you are happy with them Cynthia, I've tried several times but they always end up back in the drawer and the ready readers come back out...
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 07:27 AM

I've worn varifocals for some 25 years now and like them. I must admit that my first pair took a bit of getting used to.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 07:42 AM

Would you Adam and Eve it. Just broke my glasses - half an hour ago. Frame has snapped so no way can I fix them. Lucky I have reading glasses here so I can still work on the computer.
catswhiskers
New Member!
Bristol, UK
catswhiskers is female 

02-06-2013, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Would you Adam and Eve it. Just broke my glasses - half an hour ago. Frame has snapped so no way can I fix them. Lucky I have reading glasses here so I can still work on the computer.
Time to go get some new varifocals then?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by catswhiskers ->
Time to go get some new varifocals then?
They were bifocals so I suppose I had better get new frames for them. The lens could do with polishing too. Not sure if they do that though. Bit tight fisted me.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 08:17 AM

I don't blame you for looking to economise, the pair of specs I bought this March cost £465 !!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

02-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I don't blame you for looking to economise, the pair of specs I bought this March cost £465 !!!
Blimey that is a lot of money. I'm checking out Ebay at this moment in time to see if I can get some new frames for next to nothing. Even to see if I can buy some cheapos and nick the frames off them. Just need the exact same lens shape. Economy is the name of the game as far as I'm concerned.
catswhiskers
New Member!
Bristol, UK
catswhiskers is female 

02-06-2013, 10:02 AM

Blimey! And Ihought mine were expensive at £439 (£389 plus £50 upgrade to thinner lenses on free second pair). Think I probably had a bargain.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2013, 10:33 AM

I had new varifocals from Boots a couple of weeks ago but I had the lens fitted into my present frames ...... cost me £200 plus £80 for fitting into my own frames.

There are about four ranges of lens, the lowest of the range tends to have some softer focus at the sides of the lens and you have to move your head to what you are looking at to see it clearly. The top of the range lens, which are obviously more expensive, gives excellent clarity and the widest field of clear vision at distance and near. These are the easiest ones to adapt to as you don't experience any of the "dizzy" feelings that sometimes affects new users. I would never buy anything but varifolcals now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top