Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 04:58 PM

Suing a big company

The prospect is daunting but I'm so upset.

In 2013 we paid £2,600 for a leather settee & 2 chairs from Furniture Village. After 2 years, peeling appeared in the seat of the settee – small round holes - but when Furniture Village sent an assessor to look at it he told us it must have been accidental because there was nothing wrong with the leather.

I then rang Guardian insurance to come and repair my settee under their accidental damage policy. This they did and all was well until a few months later when more holes appeared and the edge started peeling as well.
This time the accidental insurance would not cover it as it wasn’t an accident. It was a fault with the leather.

I complained to Furniture Village – appealed for them to help but all they did was send an assessor who reported back that the peeling holes on my settee were due to heavy wear. They said there was no fault in the manufacture of the furniture so it wasn’t their problem.
Heavy wear!! We are a retired couple and all we did was sit on it!!

I think I was duped when I bought the furniture because it was sold to me as leather- but internet enquiries reveal that it is something called bicast leather – a nasty inferior product made from scraps.
I can’t fight a big company like Furniture Village – they are getting away with murder and their after sales service is the worst I've known. They don't answer letters/emails until you have send quite a few and then it isn't the fair reply that you're hoping for.

I've contacted a furniture ombudsman and a citizens advice consumer line but not heard anything from them yet.

Should I let it drop - let them win? I've been told I don't stand a chance.

Have you ever sued and won against a big company or know anybody who has?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 05:10 PM

Re: Suing a big company

I once fought a large road engineering company. They had dug a deep hole in the road and not put any barriers around it. It then filled with rainwater and along came me in my car thinking it was a puddle. The damage to the underside of my car was beyond economical repair.

I contacted them and basically they were not interested, so I went to a legal aid solicitor who took the case up on my behalf. One letter was all it took before they paid up.

Personally, I would always challenge a company no matter how big they are. Sometimes it's easier for them to just pay up rather than going to court.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 05:56 PM

Good luck Carol. If you feel you are right, stick by that and don't be bullied.

I have got the ombudsman helping me at the moment, but you have to patient, it takes time for him to read all the facts from both sides. He has to be totally impartial.
You will need to keep copies of all receipts, dates, and correspondence.
I stopped making phone calls to complain, because I had no proof what was said, and so emailed instead so that I had everything, including their responses, in writing.
Best of luck.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 06:01 PM

trading standards is the way to go.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
trading standards is the way to go.

Yes, that's a thought Bazza.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 06:05 PM

Bliney, I didn't even know we had such a thing as a furniture ombudsman!

When I was in business I had to chase bad debts from time to time and used the small claims court online, which is very cheap and usually very effective to apply the necessary leverage, but if they call your bluff you will need some sort of expert opinion to take it any further..
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 06:32 PM

You could try Judge Rinder , me i would not bother to sue , I think theres only one winner and thats the Solicitors .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 06:53 PM

Trading standards don't help with consumer problems now.
They refer you to the citizen advice consumer help line.

As well as the furniture ombudsman and citizens advice consumer help I've been in touch with the media - Watchdog and Rip off Britain. I don't see what else I can do.

I don't mind paying a solicitor if they could assure me I'd get the money back. Until then I don't intend forking any money out
Hawkeye
Devon UK
Hawkeye is male  Hawkeye has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 07:51 PM

May I suggest you give it a little longer to see if any of the routes you have taken come up trumps. If it looks like nothing is going to be done and you have the nerve, try walking up and down in front of the Store with Placards relating to your bad experience. In other words, think bad publicity for them. Friends of mine have done it and it works, just keep it peaceful, take a flask and sandwiches and a couple camping chairs. I bet they will then sort it out.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

08-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye ->
May I suggest you give it a little longer to see if any of the routes you have taken come up trumps. If it looks like nothing is going to be done and you have the nerve, try walking up and down in front of the Store with Placards relating to your bad experience. In other words, think bad publicity for them. Friends of mine have done it and it works, just keep it peaceful, take a flask and sandwiches and a couple camping chairs. I bet they will then sort it out.
I have actually thought of going there and doing a 'sit in'

I would too!!

Waiting to see what happens with the other routes first.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top