Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:09 PM

A sense of humour?

I have a gentleman (casual acquaintance) who....every time he sees me, he tries to make me laugh by telling me something that he thinks is very funny, and I think it is boring and not funny at all.

So, he says I don't have a sense of humour...

I can't understand why some people think everything they come up with should make us laugh. If they only knew how boring they sound as their little one liners, like he does, are nothing to really laugh about....some of them I don't even "get" as they are so stupid.....

I just say to myself "that guy is really out to lunch".....
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:16 PM

Re: A sense of humour?

Wild, I have a male friend who does the same, and no, the humor for him is just not there for me. I think they are trying so hard to be casual, to impress us they end up looking rather nerdy.
To their credit, they keep coming back trying to make a soft spot for themselves. Some would have given up trying to get us to smile years ago.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:18 PM

Unfortunately some people do like the sound of their own voices too much, making lots of noise and expecting their flunkies to laugh at every word they think is hilarious. My boss is one such person.

I deliberately do not show any emotion whatsoever. If I find something funny I will be on the floor holding my sides as required, but virtually demanding that others laugh at your jokes is narcissistic and seeking too much attention one of my pet hates in people.
You wouldn't get me showing off my boxer shorts to internet users the world over, for example
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Wild, I have a male friend who does the same, and no, the humor for him is just not there for me. I think they are trying so hard to be casual, to impress us they end up looking rather nerdy.
To their credit, they keep coming back trying to make a soft spot for themselves. Some would have given up trying to get us to smile years ago.
Thanks Right Now. He was starting to convince me that I didn't have a sense of humour....and I watch certain comedies on TV and I laugh my head off. When my brother and I are together we laugh ourselves silly......

So you have made me feel better already...it was starting to bother me, and I think I am going to have to avoid him. I hate forcing myself to laugh when I don't think something is funny...
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Thanks Right Now. He was starting to convince me that I didn't have a sense of humour....and I watch certain comedies on TV and I laugh my head off. When my brother and I are together we laugh ourselves silly......

So you have made me feel better already...it was starting to bother me, and I think I am going to have to avoid him. I hate forcing myself to laugh when I don't think something is funny...
(Sigh) Sometimes it's necessary to take deep breaths and....withdraw.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

31-08-2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Unfortunately some people do like the sound of their own voices too much, making lots of noise and expecting their flunkies to laugh at every word they think is hilarious. My boss is one such person.

I deliberately do not show any emotion whatsoever. If I find something funny I will be on the floor holding my sides as required, but virtually demanding that others laugh at your jokes is narcissistic and seeking too much attention one of my pet hates in people.
You wouldn't get me showing off my boxer shorts to internet users the world over, for example
I am the same Floyd, I don't re-act at all. but if I do find something funny, I really have a good belly laugh about it and there is no pretending to it.....
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

31-08-2018, 02:31 PM

Even on forums sometimes, you will notice that someone thinks they are funny when they word a post....and I don't even smile....I just ignore it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:33 PM

I am the same Floyd, I don't re-act at all. but if I do find something funny, I really have a good belly laugh about it and there is no pretending to it.....
That's the difference isn't it, WB?
You often find that those who are laughing at their own so-called jokes immediately lose their smile after they've had their three seconds of attention. Very false.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Best way to handle it is laugh and say 'oh man, that is BAD' in a tone that indicates the awfulness of the joke.

That way the joker doesn't feel like his joke totally bombed and you didn't have to pretend it was a good joke.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

31-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Even on forums sometimes, you will notice that someone thinks they are funny when they word a post....and I don't even smile....I just ignore it.
Their post is always followed by this:

I think this:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top