Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 03:14 AM

The "F" Word

Now I know that many of you ladies and gentlemen on this forum enjoy this, but quite honestly, I think there's a time and place for everything.

What am I on about? FOOTBALL! That's probably the second most offensive F word in the English language today for me.

Why am I grumpy?

1. It's a minority sport, or so I am told and more folk watch Corrie than football on TV
2. It interferes with other programmes, to much annoyance
3. It creates disharmony and thuggish behaviour

Now then, for a Soapy like myself, I do object to MY programmes being canned in place of football, or any other "sport" for that matter.

I don't object to them per se, but why do not the TV companies make a designated channel for sports and leave the normal channels alone? What's wrong with that?

No, it's nothing to do with ratings. BBC could put them on BBC2 and ITV could put them on ITV2. If so many people love these sports, then the ratings of the "2" channels would go up as both companies are vying to take ratings from each other.

Or, to keep everybody happy, they could transfer the soaps to the "2" channels, which are mainly a load of rubbish anyway and which very few people would miss.

I make this rant for all people who object to programmes being removed/replaced in favour of sports, including golf, tennis, darts, snooker and, heaven forfend, the Olympics!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Re: The "F" Word

I have to agree Mollie that is is very annoying to have all the schedules cocked up for something as banal as sport, particularly football. It really makes some viewers seem more important than others. I have been advocating for years that they should confine all sport to a sport channel, but the same could be said for soaps sometimes I suppose, which I don't watch either, and have been annoyed at times when other stuff is moved to accommodate a "one hour special" for example, so I suppose you can't please all of the people all of the time eh...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 10:02 AM

I have nothing against sport, each to their own, but it does make me angry when all programmes are disrupted for football matches. There are numerous sports channels so why can't all sporting events be confined to these channels, isn't that what they are there for?
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Reminds me of a comedy sketch years ago of a snooker match...commentator talking quietly in the background as they do...

"Well this White/Higgins match is taking longer than we expected....We shall be staying with the players to see this exciting finish....This of course will screw up the film that follows that many of you will have pre-set on your video recorder"
Dalesman2
lancashire
Dalesman2 is male  Dalesman2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 10:58 AM

just wait and see what the olympics does to Wed nights Corrie
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 10:59 AM

I am a great fan of Corrie and EE ....... and also enjoy watching Euro 2012 and other big sporting events. It doesn't really bother me that my favourite soaps have been moved to another slot to accommodate the football.....if they are on different channels at the same time, I record the soap and watch the football.

I'll be rooting for England tonight!

Wimbledon starts next week so I will be glued to that as well!

Saying all that, I do appreciate how annoying it can be for people who don't like sport at all. It is a bad year for haters of sport on TV this year
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dalesman2 ->
just wait and see what the olympics does to Wed nights Corrie
Corrie hasn't been a usual Wednesday viewing night on TV for years, it was changed to Thursdays
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm another who wishes football and lots of other sports would be confined to their own channel. And why have matches on more than one channel at a time???
I confess I will be glued to Wimbledon (the only sports event that I avidly watch) but they seem to manage to programme that without so much disruption to other programmes, I guess as it is on during the day. As I don't watch daytime TV I don't notice a problem, but I guess others will.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-06-2012, 12:40 PM

I dunno, I rather like football on TV, of course I much prefered to go and watch it live where I could indulge myself in the wanton pursuit of thuggery and general discord. It kept me away from being exposed to the nightly televisual feast of death, destruction, incest, bullying and countless other delights of human detritus courtesy of the mythical entities known as Corry or Enders. That said, it could in reality be far worse, the gods of transmission might decide to further erode my brain cells with subliminal messages from the X factor, BGT or something equally abhorrent.

Sadly, the passage of time and other strictures preclude me from excercising my real preference and thus I have to rely on the dear old box for my moronic gratification. I am though quite happy to allow others to enjoy their chosen viewing predilictions without scorn or any real derision. A free to air, dedicated sport channel would be absolutely fine and I could live in peace with my football and.................Liquid Mind.

It is perhaps interesting to note that UK viewing figures for the England match against France was over 15.million, which incidentally was more than the number of the bewildered who watched the recent Royal geriatric pop concert. Football it seems is bigger than the Royal Family at least for a while.
The game against Sweden saw the figure rise to 16.3 million and more than 18 million tuned in for the encounter with Ukraine.

There must be some dark forces at work here, the english games being the highest programmes viewed on any british channel ??? Even Albert Tatlock, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst were having a look-see whilst the harridan Sharples was down the pub.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
I dunno, I rather like football on TV, of course I much prefered to go and watch it live where I could indulge myself in the wanton pursuit of thuggery and general discord. It kept me away from being exposed to the nightly televisual feast of death, destruction, incest, bullying and countless other delights of human detritus courtesy of the mythical entities known as Corry or Enders. That said, it could in reality be far worse, the gods of transmission might decide to further erode my brain cells with subliminal messages from the X factor, BGT or something equally abhorrent.

Sadly, the passage of time and other strictures preclude me from excercising my real preference and thus I have to rely on the dear old box for my moronic gratification. I am though quite happy to allow others to enjoy their chosen viewing predilictions without scorn or any real derision. A free to air, dedicated sport channel would be absolutely fine and I could live in peace with my football and.................Liquid Mind.

It is perhaps interesting to note that UK viewing figures for the England match against France was over 15.million, which incidentally was more than the number of the bewildered who watched the recent Royal geriatric pop concert. Football it seems is bigger than the Royal Family at least for a while.
The game against Sweden saw the figure rise to 16.3 million and more than 18 million tuned in for the encounter with Ukraine.

There must be some dark forces at work here, the english games being the highest programmes viewed on any british channel ??? Even Albert Tatlock, Minnie Caldwell and Martha Longhurst were having a look-see whilst the harridan Sharples was down the pub.
Could'nt agree with you more Hammer, particularly regarding the Soaps. Only a manic depressive could take any joy from Eastenders, as a prime example. Reality TV? most of it is divorced from any form of sanity, never mind reality. Talent shows? Got as much talent as the Bankers who are ruining this country at this time. My god its good to have you back me old mate! More power to your elbow. Good luck to England tonight, got a feeling they're going to need it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top