Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 06:27 PM

Have You Had Any Panics During This Lockdown?

I hadn’t, until this afternoon.

There l was happily planting some strawberry runners in the planters of compost my daughter managed to get for me, when l realised l hadn’t got the cod loin for my dinner out of my fridge freezer.
I rushed in, got the cod out to defrost.
I then opened the fridge compartment and noticed the light wasn’t working. I wasn’t unduly worried as this happened a few weeks ago. Looking in the fridge freezer manual, it suggested this could be due to the door light switch being jammed. I twiddled with it and the light came on.
Unfortunately, when I tried it today, it didn’t work. I wasn’t too panicked as l presumed it needed a new bulb, afterall, it’s probably 15 years old.

Then l noticed, there was no motor sound, shock horror filled me as l thought... my fridge freezer has broken down, where will I put all the food? ..... the two other freezers are jam packed! I blamed myself for defrosting it lately.

I then thought, the fuse may have gone? I searched my ‘bit’ drawer and found a 13 amp fuse. I inserted it, the motor was still silent. Panic was starting to creep in on me but being the ever optimistic, l wasn’t going to give up.
I searched every working appliance l own but they only had five amp fuses. Then l spied my oven plug. Alleluia, a 13 amp fuse.
I fitted it into the fridge freezer plug and the motor purred into action. I was so relieved so happy. The thought of ringing round to purchase another fridge freezer, filled me with dread, especially as people are buying extra ones.

So l ask, have you had any panics during this lockdown?

PS, lf you have any fridge freezer problems.... l’m your man!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 06:36 PM

Re: Have You Had Any Panics During This Lockdown?

My only major panic was when I realised that if any of my lovely family were taken ill with this damned virus I would probably not be able to go to them. Certainly not those in NZ let alone those who live a few yards away.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 06:39 PM

Not a panic as such but my microwave has broken down... not a problem usually but its part of a combination oven so its not so easy to deal with... spoken to Bosch and because its over 10 years old its probably not repairable .... additional problem is the oven is discontinued so I cannot match a new one with the other larger oven it matches in my kitchen.... the result is to have them matching it will cost over £1000 to replace the combination oven and the double oven.

Very frustrating!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
My only major panic was when I realised that if any of my lovely family were taken ill with this damned virus I would probably not be able to go to them. Certainly not those in NZ let alone those who live a few yards away.
That's a very interesting observation. My elderly mother is several states away, and though I am still free to travel, some border crossings are demanding 14 day quarantine if you enter the state. If she became ill, I could be by her side, but what good would I be once I got there with so many restrictions in place.

We are finding ourselves between a rock and a hard place.

I wonder if the long-term impact of this will be that many of us (parents or children) will be less inclined to move so far away.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Yes that's a terrible thought isn't it... have to admit when Boris went into hospital I panicked a bit realising it really could happen to anyone.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 06:47 PM

Panics? No. Saddened that we won't get our lovely grand children for a while. But we walk our handsome, hairy hound and keep our distance from the very few people we meet.

We get our groceries delivered and our meds so no need to go out for those.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 07:15 PM

Yes, I nearly ran out of tobacco last week & quickly arranged a trip to the supermarket, I did need other items too.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 07:28 PM

Art I've a question

How do you know what fuse is for what

I have a little pack of fuses and I wouldn't know where they go
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Art I've a question

How do you know what fuse is for what

I have a little pack of fuses and I wouldn't know where they go
Susan, l have no idea but l think the more powerful the appliance, the bigger amp fuse needed?

I only knew the fridge freezer needed a 13 amp fuse, was because the fuse already in it was 13 amp!

It was one of those new fangled plugs where you don’t have to unscrew the plug to get the fuse out.
How to remove the plastic bit with with the fuse in it was a new experience and a learning curve! Ha!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 07:45 PM

I was feeling a bit queasy after reading this ...

Sars-CoV-2 shares between 80% and 90% of its genetic material with the virus that caused Sars – hence its name. Both consist of a strip of ribonucleic acid (RNA) inside a spherical protein capsule that is covered in spikes. The spikes lock on to receptors on the surface of cells lining the human lung – the same type of receptor in both cases – allowing the virus to break into the cell. Once inside, it hijacks the cell’s reproductive machinery to produce more copies of itself, before breaking out of the cell again and killing it in the process.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ccine-be-ready

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top