Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Public service broadcasting?

The BBC is supposed to be a public service broadcaster, but today on BBC 1 there is nothing but sport on from 13.45 until 21.10, and on BBC 2 there is nothing but sport on from 13.00 until 21.30.

So what about us licence fee payers who hate and detest sport, any chance of a refund?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Re: Public service broadcasting?

Originally Posted by Barry ->
The BBC is supposed to be a public service broadcaster, but today on BBC 1 there is nothing but sport on from 13.45 until 21.10, and on BBC 2 there is nothing but sport on from 13.00 until 21.30.

So what about us licence fee payers who hate and detest sport, any chance of a refund?
Whilst I support the BBC in most things, I don't support its coverage of sport. It should have a sports channel dedicated to the topic, so those of us who dislike the genre, are spared that annoyance.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Whilst I support the BBC in most things, I don't support its coverage of sport. It should have a sports channel dedicated to the topic, so those of us who dislike the genre, are spared have that annoyance.
I do agree with you that the BBC should have a dedicated sports channel, two even, that would stop all the arguments. They took off BBC3 which could have been used for that.

But, of course, the BBC are known for doing the complete opposite to public demand so I doubt it will happen.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Do, as I have done in the past - complain to (Lord) Tony Hall - the BBC Chairman. If enough people do so, particularly if they do so together, he'll have to sit up and take notice. I'm quite happy to give you his email address.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 12:31 PM

I'm enjoying the World Cup and I like Wimbledon but I agree that the Beeb should have a dedicated sports channel, it's not good for sport to dominate so much as there are so many people who don't like it, and these are the people paying the licence fee.

I think ITV should also shift the World Cup to another channel, they have plenty to choose from!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Do, as I have done in the past - complain to (Lord) Tony Hall - the BBC Chairman. If enough people do so, particularly if they do so together, he'll have to sit up and take notice. I'm quite happy to give you his email address.
Thanks Joe but I think it will be pissing into the wind frankly. The whole Beeb seem sport obsessed and I doubt there are enough of us heretics to make a difference, particularly when there is so much cash involved and that is where the problem lies with sport these days...
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 01:23 PM

I am glad that I dont have a TV anymore and dont pay for the licence.
Dont miss the TV at all specially if thats all they have to offer.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 01:26 PM

I recently got a TV after a 7 year gap. I don't like the BBC and think they should perhaps use some of their millions to have 2 dedicated sports channels, it seems like a good idea.

I prefer World Cup matches when they are on ITV just to avoid the obnoxious, smug Gary Lineker.

Aside from that, I rarely watch the BBC, preferring channels such as Talking Pictures TV, TruTV, CBS and Channel 5 as well as Film 4.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

02-07-2018, 01:35 PM

The only time we watch commercial channels is when we've recorded them so that we can fast forward through the ads, which often seem to take up more program time than the actual program itself!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 01:39 PM

The only time we watch commercial channels is when we've recorded them so that we can fast forward through the ads, which often seem to take up more program time than the actual program itself!
Hear! Hear!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top