Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Ladies - Do you remember

Your first pair of High Heel shoes?

After reading in the other 'Do you remember' thread about school uniforms I got to remembering about my old school shoes. A big pair of brown brogues. I think they were second hand as well . All the other girls in class (senior school) used to wear the new winkle picker shoes but Mum insisted I had to wear these ugly brown things. She used to say "You'll thank me when your grown up & you don't have bunions" Well I do thank her now but I didnt then

Anyway I then remembered the first pair of high heels I got. I was age about 15 & got them from Stead & Simpsons for 49/11d (£2-50p) They were brown - again with about a 2 1/2 inch heel. They had an upside down V shape on each side & tied with a ribbon across the front. I thought I was the Bees Knees in them but was only allowed to wear them for best - Youth club, Sunday school & the pictures.
A later pair I had was white trimmed with pale blue - when I started working & could buy my own. Eventually I dyed them black when they had gone a bit shabby. One day I went out with some friends to a show in a field with these shoes on - not very sensible & my heels kept sinking in the ground At the end of the day I had Black shoes with white heels were all the dye had been rubbed off
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Re: Ladies - Do you remember

I remember when I was about 10 my dad went out one saturday and came home with a pair of shoes for me. They were bright red and had high heels. He was so pleased with himself and I didnt like them, they were too bright but I wore them to please him but I fell in love with them because they clip clopped and I felt so grown up and in the end I lived and died in them and I was so sad when I grew out of them and I'll never forget my beautiful red clip clop shoes.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 09:13 PM

My mum always insisted on "proper" shoes, which meant ugly brown crepe soled tee bar sandals with punched holes in Summer and black rubber heeled lace ups in Winter (with seggs put in by my Dad to make them last). Although I tried hard, the flipping things were practically indestructable.
I must have been about 14 when I got a pair of high heels, but only one and a half heels. They also came from Stead and Simpson and were black with a bow on the front. The "real" high heels I had to wait for until I bought them myelf and the first pair was a 4" pair of black suede winkle pickers, with a real mink trim on the front. I teetered about and felt so sophisticated (just like Sophia Loren, I thought ) with my hair in a French pleat, black fur trimmed coat and fur trimmed high heels. They were so uncomfortable and when nobody was around I took the high heels off and walked barefoot home, making holes in my stockings. Happy days.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 09:31 PM

I think mine came from Stead and Simpsons too
They had belonged to my cousin (who was like a sister) and were silver with pointed toes
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 09:50 PM

Yes, I remember my first pair of kitten heels, beige and suede...from Dolcis(?)
I used to boil the kettle and steam them, I used a special brush to scuff up the leather.
I remember my winklepickers...white ones. I eventually dyed them navy to match my foamback coat. The dye always gave me blue feet and my stockings too
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 10:12 PM

my fav shoes alys got them at Dolcis
my friend at the time in 1968 miss england she came seccond in miss world
she had the same shoes we bopught when we went shoping in wigan
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 10:34 PM

My aunt (mothers sister) married into a family that had and still own 3 shoe shops selling Clarks, Skip, Churches etc and other expensive high street brands. All my shoes came from my uncles shop in our village and they were always measured and fitted and terribly sensible!! I longed for a fashionable pair and my school friends used to tease me for having such sensible shoes but they were pricey even with our family discount. My first pair I had from another shop were like a family secret!!! If Uncle Jim knew i'd got a pair of heels he'd have had a fit at what it was going to do to my feet lol The fact that I spent most of the time in riding boots was a godsend really as I rarely wanted going out shoes..
However.. my first heels came from Dolcis and were black suede and had a bow on the back. I bought them to go to a Young Farmers ralley party in Bournmouth and I was dead proud of them.. my nan roughed up the soles so I wouldnt slip lol. On the night I wore them I got to the party at the Bournmouth International Centre and we had a massive disco.. after about an hour my feet were killing me so I took them off!! Big mistake I couldnt get them back on!! when we left the party I still couldnt so I threw them in a bin and swore never to wear heels again and I dont!! My mate told me I walked like a transvestite in them too lol
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
My mate told me I walked like a transvestite in them too lol

Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cassie ->
My mate told me I walked like a transvestite in them too lol
I never used to but I do now I live in trainers. We went out to a dinner dance last weekend & I had to wear heels for the first time for a few years & could hardly walk. I was glad OH had a bad back so we couldnt dance
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:08 PM

My first pair had kitten heels as well, in beige leather with a horrible bow on top, but I loved them at the time. Then I got my pale blue wedge peep toes! I loved them.

Anybody remember Lady Esquire?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top