Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:01 PM

Metal detecting

Anyone ever done it?

I think it would be fascinating to find something really old that ends up on view in a museum. Not to mention learning the history of whatever was found.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Re: Metal detecting

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Anyone ever done it?

I think it would be fascinating to find something really old that ends up on view in a museum. Not to mention learning the history of whatever was found.
Yes I have done it, with a group in Dover. We found some Roman coins.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:08 PM

No never thought about it, though i did know someone who did this. He quite often popping in to Yorkshire to do some with permission from landowners , mainly found Viking and Anglo Saxon stuff.

I see plenty on the beaches up here probably looking for modern lost items.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:10 PM

No Pesta, l never have but everyone thinks l should, as l have a very big garden.
I asked my daughter for a metal detector for Christmas but when it came, it was no more than a toy!
I would buy or hire one, if l knew which is the best to get?!!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
No Pesta, l never have but everyone thinks l should, as l have a very big garden.
I asked my daughter for a metal detector for Christmas but when it came, it was no more than a toy!
I would buy or hire one, if l knew which is the best to get?!!

Oooh...do it Art! Do some Googling and get on with it!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

01-11-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Yes I have done it, with a group in Dover. We found some Roman coins.
What did the group do with the coins SP?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
What did the group do with the coins SP?
There used to be a museum called The White Cliffs Experience. They took them. You can't sell Heritage it is priceless. I don't think that place exists anymore, but I have lived in Bournemouth for 16yrs. Most probably something about it on Google.

Are you going to have a go? How exciting.
Sweetie x
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 12:11 AM

There is someone comes into the field next to my house which is an ancient grazing meadow never ploughed.

He digs up clods of earth and doesn't pit them back
not sure if he has found anything.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 12:26 AM

I have never done this either, but my brother and his wife have done it for years. He has found many items of interest and has contacts at museums. He also restores old relics and jewellery for people and museums too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have never done this either, but my brother and his wife have done it for years. He has found many items of interest and has contacts at museums. He also restores old relics and jewellery for people and museums too.
Hi
How much would he charge to restore me?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top