Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Halloween yes or no

Who here believes in Halloween trick or treating??...I for one dont..firstly it is not a british institution but a import from America , although it was exported to them as was originally a British pagan rite , It gives the yobs a chance to reek havoc etc to my cost , although not all are we do see tots with adults walking the streets ...you could call me a spoilsport but i put a sign up politely requesting NO trick or treats ....
In my day we had good old Penny for the Guy ...who remembers that I do...
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Re: Halloween yes or no

It will be all go for a couple of months now, trick or treat, penny for the guy, then carol singing.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 06:21 PM

My door stays firmly locked tonight ! I have never supported Halloween and never will.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 06:37 PM

A no from me but living as I do down a muddy country lane miles from anywhere it really isn't a problem
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 06:44 PM

We rarely get trick or treat, penny for the guy or carol singers.
I do have sweets ready this year, first time ever...hubby is determined to ask for a trick We were warned by a delivery driver to expect eggs thrown at the car by the older lads, if we don't give money!
The local round table used to have a float come round at christmas, they would sing carols and we always gave to them..they haven't been round for some years now
I digress, what was the question? No I don't do halloween.
Wish I lived in the middle of nowhere Meg, our daughter does too.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 07:23 PM

An emphatic "no" from me. People who wouldn't have the time of day for you all year suddenly come around the neighbourhood begging for free sweets for their kids.
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 07:57 PM

I agree, no ,we as many others dont get them either living off the beaten track, even the old ''Mischief night'' is now an excuse for vandaliseing, i have just seen on the news, that inn Liverpool, the ''trick'' or Treaters, have set fire to a police car, can anyone tell me, whats tricky ,or mischievouse about that ?? our mischiefief night ,was knocking on a door & running away, or hideing round the corner!!, & then, not in eccess, or we would get a clip round the ear from the local bobby ,
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 08:03 PM

My initial reaction is 'yes' to trick-or-treaters. It can be just a little bit of harmless fun for kids who like to dress up and get a handful of sweets in the process.

But in today's society, I am strongly against it. It's no longer a bit of harmless fun, it can too easily degrade into threats and violence with vandalism thrown in.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Well I'll have to be the odd one out then, I think the kids have a great time dressing up and going around the houses, they don't cause any trouble around here, quite the opposite, they are all well mannered and polite when they knock, we have not yet reached the stage where they ask for money, a bag of sweets or a bar of chocolate satisfies them, they thank you and go away with a smile on their little faces, bless them all.
The wife made up 20 bags of goodies and they're all gone now, except the Cadburys crunchy I skied for meself.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2012, 08:48 PM

I have been on the receiving end of this trick or treating it is linked my post on another thread' bewildered annoyed and bloody fuming' ...since the incidences I had then i just dont accept it ...True when we were kids we done penny for the guy but we didn't menace or scare people....In fact were I live we had a large population of americans from the local usaf airbases ...they really loved our guys and rewarded us for it ...but we NEVER knocked on doors , we put the guy in my sisters tripper and pushed him around the streets . however that was almost 50 years ago ...how times change ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top