Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 02:20 AM

Clock menders

This profession seems to be a dying art.
I have an old clock at home, which I bought from an antique shop over 40 years ago, but I've never really known how old it could be. It's a mantel clock, which has to be wound, and has two different sets of chimes.
It has had a problem with one hammer not behaving, so the chimes have become a bit erratic, but its not good taking it to a jewellers shop as from my experience, if it hasn't got a battery or can't be plugged in, most of them haven't got a clue.
I did some delving on the internet, and have eventually found a clock mender/restorer about 40 mins drive away. He is the only one for miles, and so has got quite a few clocks waiting to be looked at before he can see to mine, in fact he told me it could be up to 3 months before mine is finished!!

What a shame so few people are interested in this kind of work anymore.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 06:09 AM

Re: Clock menders

Agree Mups, these days craftsmen are in short supply. Our disposable throwaway attitude means get rid and buy a new one. You would have thought that the jewelers might have least have known someone who did repair clocks.

These skilled people are being lost to us, not sure how many even have a watch now, mobiles have taken over as timepieces, hope you get the clock back soon.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 08:48 AM

A colleague who retired at the same time as me, took up clock repairing.

He repaired my Westminster chime clock, but said that in time and effort, it took him as much time as would a valuable antique clock, so if it stopped again, I should buy a new mechanism.

The German firm of Hermle make a complete range of clock mechanisms, from the very traditional to modern electronic movements.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Pity you do not live nearer, Mups, we have three excellent clock/watch menders.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 09:57 AM

My husband collects clocks so he has taught himself to fix them over the years, he has fixed a couple for friends because horological workers are quite rare round these parts too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 11:25 AM

My BIL broke his watch recently and my sister said the local jeweler had sent it to Switzerland to be mended and it would be gone 3 months .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 12:49 PM

My Old Man was a Watch and Clock repairer, more for therapeutic reasons than profit, maybe Escapement.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My BIL broke his watch recently and my sister said the local jeweler had sent it to Switzerland to be mended and it would be gone 3 months .

The trouble when they send it away Meg, is they no doubt put a bit more on the bill for their own commission. If you can take it direct to the man himself, not only can you show him and discuss things with him before you leave it, you wouldn't be paying a middle man for doing bugger all as well.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-01-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
My Old Man was a Watch and Clock repairer, more for therapeutic reasons than profit, maybe Escapement.

Pity his knowledge didn't rub off on you Spittie, 'bout time you did something useful.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Pity his knowledge didn't rub off on you Spittie, 'bout time you did something useful.
, Don't start Finger Pointing, I might get Wound Up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top