Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 12:50 AM

Who Likes Thunderstorms?

I may be Lily Munster in drag but I love thunderstorms, knowing when one's coming, the sky getting darker, the wind blowing more, watching the house be overcome suddenly with gloom. Then 5 minutes later it's all over & moved on.

The things I don't like is if the power goes off.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 12:58 AM

Re: Who Likes Thunderstorms?

Originally Posted by zoolady100 ->
I may be Lily Munster in drag but I love thunderstorms, knowing when one's coming, the sky getting darker, the wind blowing more, watching the house be overcome suddenly with gloom. Then 5 minutes later it's all over & moved on.

The things I don't like is if the power goes off.
Meeeeeeeeeeeeee! I love thunder and lightning. In the UK we rarely get a supply outage because of it, the reason being we run on 240 volts rather than the 110/120 in Canada and the USA so we don't get that problem here.

My friend who lives in Ontario has told me that when there's thunder and lightning they dash around the house to switch off all electrical appliances, which amazed me when she first told me about it and it's because of the "spiking" which can send a lightning strike back through the sockets, so I don't have any fear of it at all.
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 01:22 AM

Yeah, we found out the hard way when our modem was destroyed.
You don't see sparks in the outlets or anything, I guess it's just in the wires.
They say it's people at the end of the street too that get it worse, guess it builds up. We're at the end too technically even tho we don't live in town.

Good you're lucky that way, interesting, I just figured everyone's the same
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 01:36 AM

Yeah, we found out the hard way when our modem was destroyed.
You don't see sparks in the outlets or anything, I guess it's just in the wires.
They say it's people at the end of the street too that get it worse, guess it builds up. We're at the end too technically even tho we don't live in town.

Good you're lucky that way, interesting, I just figured everyone's the same
No lass, it's not in the wires. It's the send-back through your power supply which probably blows your plugs out of their sockets, but not before it sends a surge which blows the appliance at approx 0.2 of a milli-second before.

I could give you chapter and verse but it would be boring.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 01:37 AM

Love them. When camping in the Lake District we had one. Wakened by the storm we opened the tent and watched. A tree the other side of the field was hit, glowed, split, burst into flames and was put out by the heavy rain.
Can't tell what happened next
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

20-07-2013, 01:45 AM

Oooooh, go on Ron, tell us.

Many moons ago my husband and I went to the Isle of Wight to stay in a cottage owned by a friend. The night became blustery and I suggested we take the car to the cliffs so we could watch the sea, even though it was late.

It was absolutely incredible. Thunder, lightning, the waves crashing. Fantastic.
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 01:58 AM

Oh that sounds fascinating & spooky.

oh, I'm sure glad we've never experienced plugs being blown out of their sockets! I've never heard of that happening to anyone I know but there's powers out there greater than us......

I think I'll start another thread, hee hee
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

20-07-2013, 02:01 AM

Oh that sounds fascinating & spooky.

oh, I'm sure glad we've never experienced plugs being blown out of their sockets! I've never heard of that happening to anyone I know but there's powers out there greater than us......

I think I'll start another thread, hee hee
Good for you lass. What are you up to now, me wonders?
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 02:10 AM

Can't................. rude
Another was in Cattolica near Rimini ,Italy
Sitting in a cafe watching an electric storm over the Adriatic Sea, the waiters started lighting Hurricane Lamps. They called us into the inside of the bar. There was an explosion, and the lights went out in the town.
Looking out of the windows we could see a fog(No... beach was blowing to the south) Then the RAIN started, and we couldn't see the beach from the bar.
Two hours later(in the bar) the lights in the town came on and we walked back to hotel( in the rain)
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 02:31 AM

Hi Mollie, well its 9:30 pm I'm putting some of the animals to bed, feeding, giving veggies, switching other ones for exercise, thinking how glad I am the humidity has lessened, & hubby & I will be getting together by 10 or so to watch one of our DVDs then bed after putting the 'rest' of the animals to bed, lights out, .......there .......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top