Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Self drive car smash

Did anyone else hear about the man in Florida who is the first man killed in a self drive car?

They say the victim had been driving along very fast whilst also watching a Harry Potter film and drove straight underneath an 18 wheel trailer, ripping the car roof off.
The self-drive system had failed to recognise the trailer's white side against the bright sky and did not hit the brakes in time, as the car drove underneath the trailer. It went on to smash through two fences and brought down a telegraph pole.

Frightening stuff isn't it. I wouldn't want a self drive if you paid me.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Re: Self drive car smash

I wonder how much his family will sue for , I suppose the Car company should have said "dont take your eyes off the road just in case ."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 11:07 AM

He must have been driving very fast as well, to get his roof ripped off and still keep going through two fences and then snap a telegraph pole in half.

I wouldn't even want to be a passenger in one, I wouldn't have enough trust.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 01:16 PM

I think the point was made that even though the car is `self drive`, the driver has to retain some control of the vehicle and be prepared to take appropriate action - I don't think watching a Harry Potter film is being in control.

My car has cruise control which I use regularly on long trips on the motorway, it reduces fatigue but I sure as hell wouldn't let it take over completely.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2016, 01:18 PM

Can you explain 'cruise control' in an idiot-proof way please Judd?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Can you explain 'cruise control' in an idiot-proof way please Judd?

Quite a few modern cars have this feature now and is usually turned on and off using a button on the steering wheel. When conditions allow, you press this button, accelerate to the speed required and press a `set` button. The car's inbuilt computer then maintains that speed for you automatically until such time you brake or accelerate then control his handed back to the driver. The one I have has a small up/down lever on the steering wheel which lets me increase or decrease the speed in 1MPH increments.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Thank you.
Just one more question if I may - if the speed is set, can you take your foot off the accelerator altogether then?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

03-07-2016, 01:40 PM

Thank you.
Just one more question if I may - if the speed is set, can you take your foot off the accelerator altogether then?
Yes, that's what the cruise control is for - stops your ankle from aching, you can put your foot to one side and let it relax. You should be ready at a moments notice to brake or accelerate though so you still need to concentrate on the road ahead for any potential dangers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Yes, that's what the cruise control is for - stops your ankle from aching, you can put your foot to one side and let it relax. You should be ready at a moments notice to brake or accelerate though so you still need to concentrate on the road ahead for any potential dangers.

Ah, thank you. The penny has finally dropped.
I've never had a posh enough car to have that facility.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2016, 01:45 PM

Ah, thank you. The penny has finally dropped.
I've never had a posh enough car to have that facility.
The really posh ones allow you have a quick snooze.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top