Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 02:16 PM

U3a

Decided to go to a talk at the U3a group this morning , heard of it but never been before , it seems to be an active group of people , day trips and clubs and smaller groups it's always a bit daunting going somewhere new and being a newbie , but I'm ok with that , on walkin in I looked around for a seat and more information , went over to a table and studied the info , found a seat and observed the room.

I was invisible , no one looked my way to welcome or smile at me , each was involved with each other who they all knew , their intention to get a cuppa and a biscuit was priority . I sat for a good 20 minutes making eye contact and smiling , no one spoke or even looked at me .

Eventually the room filled with over 250 people and a pleasant lady asked if the seat next to me was spare . We chatted until the talk started then I had to leave just before the end , I smiled and said goodbye and thanked her .

What is wrong with people , can't they sometimes think outside oftheir own self's . Not even acknowledging someone new to make them feel welcome . I enjoyed the talk , and might go again , might not , but I did not find the people welcoming .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 02:32 PM

Re: U3a

I find that too. You'd think the organiser or committee members would make a point of welcoming new folk.
Join a Steampunk group we're very friendly, probably because we're all dressed oddly and eccentric!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 03:04 PM

ive been considering joining U3a, you have to pay for the year ,and then you can join any of the groups ,..Some groups are more popular than others , the one i considered joining was Criminology but it has a waiting list ..if one puts the name down now you might get in for January start ..

I can see your point of not being made welcome , sometimes people are wary of newcomers,perhaps on your next visit you will be taken aback with all the hellos,,, dont give up if its what you want to do go for it ..
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 03:07 PM

250 attending is an awful lot, and my guess is that a new face possibly wouldn't register with most people.

Don't give up on U3A as it's a great organisation. My advice would be to pick one of the interest groups that appeals, and go along to that - there won't be so many people there and you're more likely to get chatting as you already have the shared interest in common.

In my own case, the first monthly meeting I went to had about 100 members, whereas the history section (my personal interest) had only about 15 or so, so I very quickly made friends. Volunteering to help with the tea is always a good move too!
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 03:46 PM

My wife and I used to belong to the local U3A. But gave it up several years ago. Apart from the organised walks, it was just about impossible to join any of the other groups, where the meetings were held in people's houses. Any request to join in was met with "you need to start another one, ours is full". My experience was one of private cliques and any newbies were not made welcome.

Before joining I thought I might join a group to learn something, but that sort of group didn't seem to exist.

So good luck to anyone whio is in a branch that accepts and befriends newcomers, but that was not my experience.

Arrthur
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 04:37 PM

We joined last year and have been on several trips on the coach to different towns and cities. We keep going primarily (OK, solely) for the coach trips. As for the people, they're not unfriendly but they're, well, old. OK, we're not spring chickens either, but they speak slowly and for some reason bring dusty books to read aloud from about the places we're going to the following week. Or worse - they copy & paste whole screeds from the Internet to read out loud, facts, figures, uninteresting facts about the place, when the Romans built it, which saint originated there. I can actually see members glazing over, I'm not kidding.

I also attend a Faith meeting once a fortnight which moves along a bit faster and without the "whose turn is it to make 35 teas and coffees this week?" We each pour our own at the start, then wash it up. Simple.

The U3A is an excellent scheme if you like like-minded people of 60 plus and don't feel a fish out of water with their company.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 04:55 PM

I joined it.
I went to my first meeting. The room where the meeting was held was cold and terribly depressing.I also found everyone were full of their own importance.
The art group which I wanted to join was quite away from my home and travelling late at night in the Winter wasn't my cup of tea.
I haven't been since and that was two years ago.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 04:57 PM

That is the joy of mixing with people who have become boring old farts.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 05:31 PM

How strange! I was discussing this with my neighbour today on the way to Morrisons, and said that I'd heard reports of it being cliquey!

She wants to learn something and hadn't heard of the organisation. I still haven't joined, as I don't want to be ignored either.
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2015, 06:29 PM

I joined thee U3A last year, but there wasn't much that I was interested in doing. I did a monthly walk, which was good, but everyone seemed to know each other, and because I'm very shy I found it difficult to join in. I also thought doing something called Puzzles and Mind GAmes, thought it might be good for my brain. That was monthly too, and some of the puzzles were good, but towards the end it became very mathmatical and that's something I'm absolutely not good. I joined for two sessions the art club, but found I was so hopeless that I gave up. I've not rejoined again this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top