Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 08:37 PM

I Am So Disappointed That Recycling Bins Are Being Removed From Supermarkets.

When l have a clear out of clothes, l take them to the recycling bins in Supermarket carparks. Now, l hear, in my area, the bins are being removed.

Why are they doing this? Is it happening in your area?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 08:49 PM

Re: I Am So Disappointed That Recycling Bins Are Being Removed From Supermarkets.

I don't know about there, Art, but here they were removed after they were filled to overflowing during the lockdown, since so many people had time to clean out closets.

People were throwing in all kinds of material into the bins including filthy and moldy clothing, and items that weren't clothing at all.

The necessary sorting and contamination got to the point that it wasn't cost effective to have volunteers and employees sort through it. Now donations are either not being accepted or have to be made on site at the thrift stores.

Once child was abandoned next to one such bin just outside a supermarket.

People .
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 08:51 PM

Re: I Am So Disappointed That Recycling Bins Are Being Removed From Supermarkets.

No our local ones are still alive and flourishing. Yes very full.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 08:53 PM

They are not removed form supermarkets around here Art but they are taped closed .
All the charity shops are closed too so their is no where to take stuff .
I could have kept my entire wardrobe in two drawers during lockdown .
I wear dog walking clothes each and every day and my old ski jacket and socks .
Amazing what we don’t need !
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I don't know about there, Art, but here they were removed after they were filled to overflowing during the lockdown, since so many people had time to clean out closets.

People were throwing in all kinds of material into the bins including filthy and moldy clothing, and items that weren't clothing at all.

The necessary sorting and contamination got to the point that it wasn't cost effective to have volunteers and employees sort through it. Now donations are either not being accepted or have to be made on site at the thrift stores.

Once child was abandoned next to one such bin just outside a supermarket.

People .
Gosh Surfermom, Someone abandoned their child by a bin? That’s shocking.

The dumping of filthy mouldy clothes sounds awful but these people have just spoiled it for others who are more careful with what they put in the bins.

l suppose the Covid situation didn’t help either.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-02-2021, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
No our local ones are still alive and flourishing. Yes very full.
Sandra, It is the local Asda supermarket that are having their recycling bins removed.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-02-2021, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They are not removed form supermarkets around here Art but they are taped closed .
All the charity shops are closed too so their is no where to take stuff .
I could have kept my entire wardrobe in two drawers during lockdown .
I wear dog walking clothes each and every day and my old ski jacket and socks .
Amazing what we don’t need !
Muddy, l did read when l googled it to see if it was happening in other areas and those that have, have done so because there is more fly tipping there these days.

They were also being removed for supermarkets to replace them with something more lucrative.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 09:18 PM

I haven't been near a supermarket so I can't say. I do know people are dumping stuff in and around our area, simply because there is nowhere else for it to go. The good thing is, we clearly have a lot of midgey rakers, because it never stays long!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 09:19 PM

Opposite my old flat in London was a TRAID bin, that was either overflowing, had stuff dumped all around it, or people were caught rummaging inside. Last year or at some point the Cllr got it removed. Residents had had enough. I used to walk past it every day with the dog and was in despair. It was in between a shop and a bus stop, so quite prominent.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2021, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I haven't been near a supermarket so I can't say. I do know people are dumping are dumping stuff in and around our area, simply because there is nowhere else for it to go. The good thing is, we clearly have a lot of midgey rakers, because it never stays long!
I find that inexcusable on their part, because they don’t need to chuck stuff right now. I still have all my potential recycling depot stuff in my spare bedrooms and shed, waiting for lockdown to ease, (charity shops to reopen) and for when we no longer have to make an appt for the tip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top