Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 03:40 PM

Mutilation for religion's sake

I'm talking about circumcision, both male and female, . . why is this necessary ? St Paul said to the Jews "circumcision does not please god, good deeds do", most of the worlds religions believe in this practise and it's behind the times IMO.

Female circumcision is barbaric in the extreme but it still goes on, there are some medical reasons that make it necessary to perform this operation on males but for religious reasons it aint even performed by a doctor.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Re: Mutilation for religion's sake

It all boils down to their beliefs Nero, amazing what people will do...Personally think its horrendous..........
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
It all boils down to their beliefs Nero, amazing what people will do...Personally think its horrendous..........
Me too Moli, especially after they banned us from docking three-day-old puppies tails.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Best ban ever.....Hate the idea of docking and cropping ears.........
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Religious beliefs aren't necessarily subject to reason. I can see male circumcision from the point of health; female circumcision is simply mutilation!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 07:04 PM

It doesn't bear thinking about, the person being mutilated doesn't even get a say in the matter.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Both male and female circumcision is mutilation - unless there is an underlying medical reason for the procedure. It should be banned, at least until the age of 18 where the person is old enough for themselves to decided whether they want it or not.
nero
Central Scotland

18-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Both male and female circumcision is mutilation - unless there is an underlying medical reason for the procedure. It should be banned, at least until the age of 18 where the person is old enough for themselves to decided whether they want it or not.
Totally agree Azz, why should adults decide to put their kids through this, in males the skin is there for protection, it must be very uncomfortable for young lads.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 11:49 AM

As somebody (Stephen Weinburg I think) said

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”

I'm not sure he's 100% correct, as I think personality cults and totalitarian regimes, which don't have to be religion-based, can also make good do bad - but it's not too bad a premise
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2009, 12:41 PM

As I type today I have no deep religious beliefs --but I wonder how [or if] that perspective will change as the grim reaper draws near ...?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top