Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 09:02 AM

Teachers

There are good ones and mediocre ones, the subjects the good ones taught me at school I excelled at, the other subjects taught by mediocre ones I did poorly at, thank goodness there were few mediocre teachers eh.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Re: Teachers

I thought all my teachers were good at school..... that doesn't necessarily mean that I excelled at their subjects though

I think the classes were more orderly years ago, these days they are lacking discipline in the classrooms so how can the children concentrate on lessons as we did.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 05:51 PM

What I meant to say was some teachers were boring which led to us not paying attention and let our minds wander.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 06:14 PM

I absolutely love math but had an algebra teacher who was trying to make an impression on the rest of the facilty. She gave out 'A's when we didn't have a clue as to what she was talking about. The following year we had a wonderful teacher for geometry that had to teach us both algebra and geometry.

My daughter is a teacher and she teaches the little ones. I always tell her she is in a position to either lose them in their quest for knowledge or make it something they just long for every day. She does a wonderful job.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 08:09 PM

I loved school, and was fortunate to have mostly very good teachers. Small Catholic school, small classes. But even the best couldn't make something like math interesting; how I suffered thru those classes.

Agree with Mags about discipline.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 08:38 PM

I know when I went to school and my children were in school if we did something wrong our parents pretty much stood by the teacher and told us if we felt we didn't do it, take the punishment for one of the many times we were not caught.

Today parents feel as though their children can do no wrong and I really feel they do them a dis-service without even realizing it. I do think their education today is more well rounded than ours ever was but when it comes to the basic three (reading, writing and arithmetic) we have a good solid grip on those three and we have the internet to learn anything we want now.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Well put, buzzie; I would have gotten it again at home if I'd been in trouble at school.
buzzie
USA

19-10-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Well put, buzzie; I would have gotten it again at home if I'd been in trouble at school.
Eileen, you are exactly right.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Likewise here dandysmom- if I got it trouble at school-was in trouble at home. Also if I got in trouble with any of our neighbours-used to be in trouble again at home.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2009, 09:46 PM

have to agree - I don't ever remember being in a position where my parents were in conflict with the school.

Have to admit although I was quite unhappy at school I had a thirst for learning that I still have today. I think that was supported by a few v good teachers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top