Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Does anyone still go carol-singing?

Because I found that most of the children I work with don`t know any carols, I set up a community carol singing group last year. We all dressed up in `Victorian` costumes with lanterns etc. and trotted down to the Mall on the Saturday before Christmas.
We were really well recieved, and many people stayed the whole time we were there - and joined in!
It was a lovely break from the usually frenzy.
Does anyone else do any singing? I`m planning the next one for Dec. 19 if you want to join us!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 10:32 AM

Re: Does anyone still go carol-singing?

When I as a lad we used to go all round the neighbourhood but sadly nowadays it's all finished due to you can't let your kids out alone.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 11:44 AM

I can't remember the last time we had carol singers round.

My grandchildren are 7 and 9 and they aren't taught any of the original carols at school, their Christmas songs appear to be humerous without any religious connection at all However, my granddaughter will be playing the recorder in the church this Christmas so I'll be interested to hear what else is on the programme. I've never heard of the piece she is currently learning

However, neither of them will be completely ignorant of the old time carols as my daughter and I always have a singalong (if you can call it that!) with them at Christmas time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Because I found that most of the children I work with don`t know any carols, I set up a community carol singing group last year. We all dressed up in `Victorian` costumes with lanterns etc. and trotted down to the Mall on the Saturday before Christmas.
good for you Claire I bet the children enjoyed it.

Have you been watching the programs on TV with Gareth Malone and his efforts to get people singing
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 01:32 PM

No I don't go carol singing, I am tone deaf . It sounds great though Claire especially with the dressing up, I would enjoy that, and on my birthday too! I hope you get some pics, pleeease!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 04:09 PM

What a lovely idea, Claire! And a pity that the custom is fading; I cannot remember when I last had carolers in the neighborhood.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 05:43 PM

I joined a singing group although I am useless (joined after watching that programme the choir and thought hang on I enjoy singing can't sing but do like it so I gave it a go.....lso last year found a group and although I did not feel confident enough last year to join in with the carol services (similar to what you have described) where they dress up with lanterns etc, but I am this year.

Last year also my middle niece Taylor 12 and her school (last year juniors) sang in the supermarkets.shopping centre for the local hospice then sang at the hospice too with an adult singing group....so she may join me this year..in fact think my other niece Sophie 15, adn Taylors brother Lewis 10 may join me as well, may take Molly (7) too in fact don't think I will be able to stop her ....think they will all enjoy it may drag my Dad out too. Depends.....you have made me think now, will have to start organising them - but they all sing better than me anyhow.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Can't remember either the last time there was Carol Singers-another tradition that seems to have disappeared
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2009, 08:12 AM

We live in a small cul-de-sac and tend to get missed -it also is mainly older folk so also we don't get too many knocking at Halloween!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top