Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Shops charging 99p (split from sticky thread)

Thank you Azz, and now that it's here I'd like to get this grump off my chest. Why in this Day and age do shops persist with the old trick of pricing goods in the old con way by charging 99 pence or £4.99 or even £19.99?, This old trick might still work with the young but it really annoys me, surely they don't think we are that stupid after all those years. I would have more respect for a shop if they came clean and charged £1, £5, and £20. Who asks for the penny back anyway?, do you?.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Re: Shops charging 99p (split from sticky thread)

If you save all those 'round up' pennies in your piggy bank, Jemflux, you'll soon have enough for an extra pint of Guiness!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2011, 11:14 PM

You are asked to use your local shops!, I bought a bottle of water from my local shop cost me 89p....got the same bottle in the supermarket for 37p.....so I am no longer supporting my local shop!!!!
shazkebab
Victoria, Australia
shazkebab is female 

26-11-2011, 01:50 AM

Jem, at least you have the option of getting your penny back. We don't have any currency smaller than 5c now, yet items are still marked at $1.99 etc, and we pay $2 (or whatever). Rounding up or down has become a part of primary school maths that's really necessary LOL
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2011, 02:43 PM

I was put in a few embarrassing situations recently Sharon, every morning I collected my newspaper in the same local shop and I know the owner personally. The same paper had always been 1 Euro but the government reduced the V.A.T. tax rate and the paper was reduced to 95 cents (Not for long, I hasten to add), when I would hand in the 1 Euro he had to fiddle about looking for the 5 cents change in the till and an embarrassing few seconds, which seemed like hours, followed. the result was I would say, "thats OK jack" and walk out, I think most other people did too. It's now back to 1 Euro and I'm not sorry.
shazkebab
Victoria, Australia
shazkebab is female 

28-11-2011, 08:32 AM

I was put in a few embarrassing situations recently Sharon, every morning I collected my newspaper in the same local shop and I know the owner personally. The same paper had always been 1 Euro but the government reduced the V.A.T. tax rate and the paper was reduced to 95 cents (Not for long, I hasten to add), when I would hand in the 1 Euro he had to fiddle about looking for the 5 cents change in the till and an embarrassing few seconds, which seemed like hours, followed. the result was I would say, "thats OK jack" and walk out, I think most other people did too. It's now back to 1 Euro and I'm not sorry.

haha Jem...I wonder how many people did that, and how much money HE made from it???
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 10:11 AM

I always find that when we have food delivered at home, it always seems to come to the odd 75p or something and they stand on the doorstep in the dark fiddling around in loads of change and if its cold I will quite often say, dont bother. I bet they make quite a lot there too.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Bridget darlin' - I order and pay for my delivered groceries with my 'plastic' so there's never any possibility of cash payments.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top