Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Four Children Run Down.

Yep I know its in Sydney Australia but its still shocking drink driving kills so many but when you see that the idiot in the 4x4 just drove these kids down all under the age of 12, and others also where taken to hospital , it is shocking.

So sorry for the victims and their families.
What a horrible and senseless tragedy.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/four-child...130600794.html
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 09:10 PM

Re: Four Children Run Down.

Another tragedy caused by a thoughtless drunk. Hope the punishment in Oz is greater than the punishments over here, which amount to just a slap on the wrist and don't do it again.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 09:15 PM

That is awful, when will these selfish, self-indulgent people ever learn? Totally unforgivable.!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 09:16 PM

Shocking tragedy

Four young innocent lives taken away by a thoughtless idiot.

I feel so sorry for for their families.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 10:45 PM

Tragic ! So many tears and heartache for those who grieve.

20 yrs of TAC (Transport Accident Commission ) advertising in Australia.

Obviously , not got through to the right people.

This video is pretty powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2020, 11:28 PM

This is one of the worst accidents due to drink driving I have ever seen. You guys have said it all. I can't find any further words that express my disgust than you have already. But what I can do is answer your question about what happens to drink drivers here. I can offer my own experience first. From 2003 to 2009 I worked for the Criminal Justice System in NSW. I was employed on contract with the department of corrective services to conduct groups with repeat drink driving offenders. They were there by court order and it was part of their order to attend an 8 week course. The objectives of the course were to provide confronting evidence of the consequences of drink driving for victims and families, law enforcement and emergency services personnel, The health system and of course themselves. It involved education on the affects of alcohol on the self, psychological and physical, families and communities and also how it affect one's ability to react and deal with situations during driving. We took them to rehab hospitals, surgical facilities and the city morgue. They were also required to listen to accounts from victim's families. THat is all in addition to their penalties which increase in severity from loss of licence and $ 1500 - $3000 fine depending and whether they were low, medium or high range BAC. High range drink driving on it's own often attracts a long term community service order, home detention or custodial sentence in prison. IF somebody is hurt or property damaged theses are more severe. Our overriding message was "If you drive DON'T DRINK : If you drink DON'T DRIVE "Drink drivers in NSW definitely Do Not get of lightly. WE have random drink and drug testing units everywhere. IN the US a police officer has to have cause to stop and test you. I think you have RBTs in the UK. Not sure. THere will always be morons everywhere who think they can drink and drive safely. MOst people do not re-offend after they have been caught once. This is by way of the statistics of the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research. I might also add that in my groups I had everybody from unskilled laborers and tradies; clerical workers, school teachers, professional people like lawyers and even a doctor. They ranged across all ages from P plate drivers to people in their 80s. Rich, poor, unemployed, small and big business people. I have to say that most people took their penalty and participated in the group process. They saw it as an opportunity to learn something and improve their behaviour. Some of them of course treated it as a joke thinking that they could "drive better when I'm drunk". THese were the worst and most dangerous people of all. And I had no problem in sending them back to court. I hope this helps clarify what is happening here. I like a drink myself. Boubon and rich fruity Australian red are my faves. If I drink I don't drive for 24 hours after. This is a safe time. Drink driving is NOT about how good a driver you think you are or whether you feel fine" to drive. It's not about "But I wasn't drunk!"..It is about your blood alcohol content reading. End of story. Here if you're over .05 (Which I personally think is too high. I think people should be allowed no more than .02) You are busted. Anything over between .02 and .03 has the potential to affect your capability to drive.

I would not like to be the stupid jerk who was driving that car.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 12:03 PM

I actually think when it comes to drinking and driving the Australians are less tolerant than us Brits, which is good. I have been in cars with both my son & daughter - in - law when we have been pulled over for spot checks. I have often wondered why that doesn't happen here.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 12:53 PM

The saddest thing.
cuphalffull
North East UK

02-02-2020, 06:45 PM

I hope the drunk is charged with manslaughter,
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 04:21 AM

I would be amazed if he doesn't go to gaol.

Maximum penalty is 14 years imprisonment for causing death by aggravated negligent or dangerous driving ("aggravated" includes under the influence of drugs or drink)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top