Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:18 PM

How totally stupid is this?

A few months ago our lovely, efficient, General Post Office closed it's doors - packed up it's goods and chattels - and moved into an alcove in WHSmith's. I needed a book of stamps so went in - long queue - four cashier stations - only one open! Lots of DIY machines standing around trying to look useful - but none that dispensed stamps.
Joined queue. Just when I was about to lose the will to live it was my turn. Asked politely for a book of stamps - could not believe the answer.

They do NOT sell books of stamps at the Post Office counter - I had to go to the magazine counter!

How utterly ridiculous is that?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:19 PM

Re: How totally stupid is this?

Give it time and we will have to go online and print our own.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:20 PM

Ha ha typical !
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:22 PM

They closed our main PO here for a while, much to the out cries of the towns people, but managed to get someone to take it over eventually. We do have a sub PO in our corner Co-op & I mainly use that, it's closer & never a big queue.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:22 PM

Happened to me, did not believe it all they had to do was put up a notice to let people know.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Give it time and we will have to go online and print our own.
This is already possible. A while back someone sent me something in the post with their printed stamp on it, see links below:

https://parcel.royalmail.com

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/inte...11364241094330
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:01 PM

I had exactly the same situation with my local post office a few years ago. It had closed and moved into the local WHSmith's. I needed a book of stamps to post Christmas cards to relatives. So in i go, naturally being close to Christmas, the Que was very long. After a long wait, i eventually get to the counter, asked the lady for a book of 1st class stamps and was politely told that they do not sell them and that I had to ask at one of the WHSmiths cashier desks.

I was not happy
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
This is already possible. A while back someone sent me something in the post with their printed stamp on it, see links below:

https://parcel.royalmail.com

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/inte...11364241094330
Unless the stamps are going to be 1p I am not going to buy a printer, paper, ink cartridges, all that extra cost i have to pay for, just to download and print off a label.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
A few months ago our lovely, efficient, General Post Office closed it's doors - packed up it's goods and chattels - and moved into an alcove in WHSmith's. I needed a book of stamps so went in - long queue - four cashier stations - only one open! Lots of DIY machines standing around trying to look useful - but none that dispensed stamps.
Joined queue. Just when I was about to lose the will to live it was my turn. Asked politely for a book of stamps - could not believe the answer.

They do NOT sell books of stamps at the Post Office counter - I had to go to the magazine counter!

How utterly ridiculous is that?

Well I hope you got all the magazines you wanted without having to queue at the ... magazine counter.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Unless the stamps are going to be 1p I am not going to buy a printer, paper, ink cartridges, all that extra cost i have to pay for, just to download and print off a label.
I get your point entirely, postage costs enough anyway. The person who sent me that item with a pre-printed stamp label on it uses all the new technology and already has a printer etc. That to him was the usual way as he is of a 'younger generation'.

My post was assuming anyone who wanted to do this already had the necessary printer etc.

It would not surprise me at all if in the future it was all electronic with a 'reader' somewhere in the system allowing certain items through as 'electronically stamped and paid for' online.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top