Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:08 PM

Preserving a loved one's tattoos after death

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48047002

Save My Ink Forever, a family-run business based in Cleveland, Ohio, owned by Michael and Kyle Sherwood, works with funeral homes in the US, the UK, and Canada to preserve the tattoos of people who have died, as a memorial for their loved ones.

The father and son - both embalmers and funeral directors - launched the company just over two years ago.

The Sherwoods looked at two trends - there are an estimated 45 million Americans inked and tattoos are growing in popularity; and meanwhile there is a shift towards more customised funerals and memorials.

So they decided to develop a technique that allowed for the long-term preservation of excised skin art.

It took them two years to develop their specific technique.

At the request of the family, the funeral home will surgically remove the tattoo - a simple process, say the Sherwoods - and send it to a lab for preservation before it's mounted and framed behind UV-protective glass. The entire process takes about three months.
Just ..... gruesome .....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Re: Preserving a loved one's tattoos after death

Horrible, just horrible IMO.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:19 PM

I disagree entirely.

If you acknowledge that tattoo is art, then why not preserve that art as a memory of someone you have loved?

It's no different from keeping a lock of their hair.

When you're dead, you're dead. The person is no longer there, so why not use their body, be it for organ donation, skin donation, eye donation, or for keeeping a part of them forever?

Get a grip people! The person has gone; you are just keeping a bit of their outer shell.

If it is a comfort for people, then why not?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
If you acknowledge that tattoo is art, then why not preserve that art as a memory of someone you have loved?
I don't acknowledge that tattoo is art

It's no different from keeping a lock of their hair.
..... or bones from their body ..... or their brain in a jar .....

When you're dead, you're dead. The person is no longer there, so why not use their body, be it for organ donation, skin donation, eye donation, or for keeeping a part of them forever?
I have no problem with organ donation .....

Get a grip people!
That's an awful turn of phrase .....

The person has gone; you are just keeping a bit of their outer shell.

If it is a comfort for people, then why not?
If some people regard body-inking as art then I'm sure there will be a ready market for pre-owned decorated skin .....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

..... or bones from their body ..... or their brain in a jar .....

I have no problem with organ donation .....

If some people regard body-inking as art then I'm sure there will be a ready market for pre-owned decorated skin .....
Lampshades?? 😱
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Horrible, just horrible IMO.
In my opinion too. I don't like tattoos anyway.
Lorna
Uk
Lorna is female  Lorna has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Everything about this shouts....WRONG in my head as soon as i read the header.

what the hell ever next...peel their face off, embalm it, stick it on a frame on the wall arrrggghhhh behave its all wrong !!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:24 PM

It's interesting that people who can kill an animal in order to wear its skin on their back or their feet, or to sit on, or who can chop off its limb to cook and eat it, have so much disgust over taking a part of a dead....dead!......person's skin to remember them by!

It's a choice; it may not be your choice, but that doesn't make it abominable.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Personally I don't much like tattoos, I grew up at a time when they were considered as suitable only for sailors and criminal types! Although I have to admit that some are very artistic so could be called 'art' in the sense of the word.

If the deceased has made their last wishes quite clear and that is what those left behind also wish then surely that is up to them entirely.

Having read through the wording on the link I can see no mention of cost. Nothing in this world is for nothing so there obviously would be a cost. Should this make it to the UK, would it I wonder, be extortionately expensive adding to the high cost of some funerals that have already been under investigation as being a rip-off at a time of vulnerability for relatives?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2019, 02:56 PM

The whole idea makes me shudder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top