Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Holding a Grudge.

My Mother, bless her soul, would never let us hold a grudge against each other when we were kids. there were five of us, four Boys and a Girl and we were always at each others throats, but when all the fights and arguments were over she made us make it up before we went to bed. Now that I'm in my old age I thank her for her foresight, we all get along great with each other and if we have a row we always patch it up before we part. I have done the same with my own two kids and my Daughter has passed it on to her two sons. I know it all sounds a bit like the Waltons, but it works for us. Even today I find it hard to fall out with someone I know well or love, I'm a 'Life's too short' person. I was recently in the company of a group of people including two Brothers who had not spoken to each other for ten years! and I think they were more embarrassed than I was, you could hear the silence between them in the pub.( The occasion was a Family death).
How do you feel about grudges?, I don't mean about anything seriously personal, politicians, local bigwigs, shopkeepers etc., just ordinary rows and things that are said between Family and friends.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2011, 09:33 PM

Re: Holding a Grudge.

Jemflux, I can honestly say that I never hold a grudge - life is too short! When we were young, we use to argue and fall out between ourselves, but by bedtime we were the best of friends again. Can also say that over the years have never had an argument with my Brother/Sisters, we discuss things, but never fall out. Always remember my Mum saying to us 'never go to bed on an argument' and that has stuck with me.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 01:43 PM

I am with you and don't waste time in grudge bearing. I cannot not speak to someone it is not in my nature to be quiet and sulking well, I couldn't do that either that also means being quiet.

My children do bear a grudge however, and although they speak there is not the closeness that I would like to see. I suppose some things are just too difficult to forgive and forget.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 02:42 PM

I don't have a definitive answer because I've never held a grudge. I just smack them upside the head right away. That way I don't have to take it home with me.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Oh my God Bob!, your getting very tough since you retired, taking the John Wayne approach eh?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2011, 08:20 PM

My daughter and I are always falling out about something and nothing, but we don't bear grudges. We just keep out of each other's way for a day or so and then carry on as normal. It all seems silly anyway after a bit of time has gone by and she knows it. She also knows I will forget what we were arguing about
Generally though, I don't bear grudges - I just get angry, let fly, stalk off and then come back to make up. (Just like my dad, so I am told).
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I used to get really angry and also threw things, I have no patience at all, I cant stand sulkers, if there is something to be said I have to say it and to hell with it.Now I havent the time to get cross, as you say life's too short. Annie.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Oh my God Bob!, your getting very tough since you retired, taking the John Wayne approach eh?
I'm like John Wayne toilet paper, rough & tough, but won't take sh## off anybody!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2011, 01:25 PM

My Stepmother was a great one for 'grudges', she was always saying 'I have finished with soandso' and she would go for days without speaking to my sister and myself (aged 8 and 10 when she joined our family ). Half the time we were not aware what we had done wrong .

So I will tell people exactly what they have done to annoy me and hope to clear the air rather than bearing a grudge.
Margaret
Somerset
Margaret is female  Margaret has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2011, 05:36 PM

I am usually the first one to speak after an arguement, however, there is one ex friend of ours that was so horrid, there is no way on earth I would ever forgive them. What does 'bearing grudge' really mean. Being annoyed with some-one for a short time is very different to being left with a burning hatred !!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top