Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Dangerous Cycling Should Be a Crime Say 2 in 3 Drivers.

Almost two-thirds of motorists believe the offence of dangerous driving should be extended to cyclists.
A poll of more than 10,000 drivers conducted for the Daily Mail reveals widespread concerns that cyclists are treated too leniently.

73 per cent of drivers believes cyclists should be subject to similar legal requirements as motorists. And of these, 9 in 10 called for new laws to prosecute cyclists for a two-wheeled equivalent of dangerous driving.

A change in legislation is already being considered by Transport Secretary, Chris Grayling, after a woman died last year when she was knocked down by a rider whose bike had no front brake. The cyclist was acquitted of manslaughter but convicted of wanton and furious driving.but it was only from an Act from 1861.

Being called for are:

Compulsory Insurance
Fluorescent clothing to be worn at all time.
Legal requirement to pass a road proficiency test
The wearing of a helmet
Be in possession of a roadworthy bike certificate (equivalent to an MOT)
52% would like cyclists to pay road tax as well.

Apparently, the report says that cycle lanes have done very little to alleviate road congestion and traffic flow, It goes on to say that the poll strongly showed that the British motorist, as the highest taxed motorists in the world, shows how infuriated they are that there is a lack of fairness apportioned to all road users.

What are your views on the above? Do you think cyclists should pay towards costs just as motorists do? after all, barring motorways, they use the same roads as motorists, Or do you believe that because they are bikes and not vehicles, they should continue to be exempt?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:34 PM

Re: Dangerous Cycling Should Be a Crime Say 2 in 3 Drivers.

Yes I do, many cyclist are traveling faster than cars in my town, they need to be insured to pay for damages to cars and pedestrians.

Where car driven have to stop they zoom across crossings, where we can't under or over take they have no problem doing both.

Dangerous is what they are.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Motorists who also Cycle, should get an exponential rebate on their road tax, dependant on the number of miles covered that would have been travelled by car. this mileage should not include cycling for leisure or fitness purposes.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:46 PM

I'd charge them double just for owning both
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:52 PM

I think youths who hold the traffic up on purpose, and, do wheelies on the public highway should be Horse Whipped.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 12:53 PM

1)Compulsory Insurance
2)Fluorescent clothing to be worn at all time.
3)Legal requirement to pass a road proficiency test
4)The wearing of a helmet
5)Be in possession of a roadworthy bike certificate (equivalent to an MOT)
6)52% would like cyclists to pay road tax as well.

On items 2-5 I completely agree!

On item 1 I believe that the cost of insurance would be small and some cyclist do cause damage occasionally... so I wouldn't object to them needing insurance.

On item 6 I would disagree because it is the large heavy vehicles that cause damage to the road and it would cost a fortune to set up a system that could check if every bicycle in the country paid tax!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Twink, I too believe point 1 should be compusory. Cyclists can do a great deal of damage to a vehicle, they share the same space as vehicles who have to have insurance but owners of damaged vehicles have no recourse if damaged by a cyclist acting like a maniac or being irresponsible simply because they can do.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

30-12-2017, 01:29 PM

I truly also believe point 6 should be administered too.
It doesn't have to be a large road tax but as I say, it is nothing to do with damage to the roads, they don't do anything to fix them even now, but.....they share the same road space as vehicle drivers who pay a lot in road tax. So unless they are prepared to be treated on an equal basis by motorists, many of whom resent cyclists and their sometimes very arrogant use of the same space when using the roads, then they should not be allowed on any main roads, main streets or dual carriageways unless they have road tax. I think that's fair.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

30-12-2017, 01:31 PM

They do cause damage to pavements and grass verges tax could be used to help our pedestrians walk more safely IMO
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-12-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Twink, I too believe point 1 should be compusory. Cyclists can do a great deal of damage to a vehicle, they share the same space as vehicles who have to have insurance but owners of damaged vehicles have no recourse if damaged by a cyclist acting like a maniac or being irresponsible simply because they can do.
Not as much damage as Shopping Trolleys though, bloody maniac shoppers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top