Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:05 PM

OMG!! Catalonia votes for Independence from Spain

The heading says it all! Catalonia has defied Madrid and voted today for independence with a majority voting to separate.

Not just the UK then? More and more EU countries may well wish to follow Catalonia,

Your views ?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:15 PM

Re: OMG!! Catalonia votes for Independence from Spain

In a word .... messy.
If the Catalonian President is arrested ..or worse, accused of treason as has been suggested ..more messy.
If Spanish troops get sent to instil order .. even messier.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Personally I'm scared for them, here Scotland had their choice it got a bit bickery but not violent. Over there it can be nasty as we've already seen.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Have to agree with you both. It really is quite scary! I don't think the Catalonian people outside their Parliament cheering and waving their flags in sheer excitement, realise what may lie ahead. One only has to think of the Basque region to realise what may lie ahead.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:44 PM

It'll be interesting to see if any other country recognises their independence ,... I suspect not, certainly not the EU but I bet Trump will have something profound to say.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-10-2017, 03:44 PM

I dread to think what the next move will be. The Catalonian government will first have to publish the official paper at the weekend. Madrid have this afternoon voted to bring in Article 155 for direct rule, and the dissolution of the Catalonian government.

If only the King of Spain and the Madrid government had had the guts to say sorry for the action they took, plus their stubborn refusal to discuss anything with the Catalonians during the election, even if deemed illigal, , this could have been avoided. Now we have a part of Spain publicly declaring today that they are a separate country!! unbelievable.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Have to agree with you both. It really is quite scary! I don't think the Catalonian people outside their Parliament cheering and waving their flags in sheer excitement, realise what may lie ahead. One only has to think of the Basque region to realise what may lie ahead.
Yes, I agree with all you said.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

27-10-2017, 03:48 PM

It seems crazy that millions of Catalonians want independence and millions don't. with half believing it was a legitimate vote and half saying it was illegal.
I also wonder how big business in Barcelona, i.e. the banks etc, will react to this shock vote? One wonders if there will be a mass exodus.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 04:20 PM

When I visited Barcelona, it didn't feel Spanish and, from the people I spoke to,their pride was in belonging to Barcelona and not Spain.
It is a beautiful city with lots of Gaudi buildings, which could be damaged if things get nasty, so I really hope they can find a mutually satisfactory solution to this!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Donald Tusk has said that for the EU “nothing changes’ despite the Catalan Parliament voting to breakaway from Spain.

He said that the EU would continue to only speak with Spain.

Let us hope people keep calm and the politicians sort out their differences.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top