Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:21 PM

So, Lightning Does Strike Twice

Some of you may know about my mum's quadriplegia and how she ended up this way(Fall from hospital bed which resulted in a broken neck)and the hospital's neglect for not ensuring the cot sides were up..

My mum had been in hospital with pneumonia and then transferred to a nursing home for a couple of weeks recuperation.

Last night I received a call to say she'd been found on the floor following a fall from her bed.

I raced there to find out a member of staff had been attempting to re-position her when another member requested his assistance in the next room....he didn't return for an hour and a half and when he did he found her on the floor, face down and struggling to breath.

She had been like this for 1h 15m....she sustained a broken nose and swelling to the cheek bone.

Reason she fell from bed: He had left her sat up and at an angle that made her top heavy...she slid to her right and fell to the floor.......he had left the cot sides down.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Re: So, Lightning Does Strike Twice

Shockingly I'm not entirely surprised but I'm am truly sorry your poor mum has had this happen again. In hospital Monday I saw a lady on floor in the corridor a wheel chair about four feet away, the reason some one put her there and forgot to put the breaks on, lady wanted the loo and tried to stand up. Basic error you learn very quickly to always put the breaks on I found with my parents. So how can a hospital worker not do it ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:44 PM

Oh Terry I am so sorry to hear this! Your mum is really strong and tries to overcome everything, but it seems that carers have little understanding of the patients basic needs l.
I understand that the staff are under pressure, but it is ridiculous to leave a quadriplegic pensioner on a bed with no supports!
Give her my love and tell her that i will try to keep you out of trouble while she is unable to tell you off.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:47 PM

No excuse for that Terry, it would only have taken a couple of minutes to put the cot sides back up. Must have been very distressing for your old mum.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No excuse for that Terry, it would only have taken a couple of minutes to put the cot sides back up. Must have been very distressing for your old mum.
She'll be more distressed when I show her this
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Makes you want to thump someone out of sheer frustration doesn't it Tpin.

There's no excuse for neglect. A matter of minutes which is costing your mum dearly. Again.

How is she in herself after this latest cockup? We all know she's a remarkable lady and feisty ... but is she okay?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

13-10-2017, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Oh Terry I am so sorry to hear this! Your mum is really strong and tries to overcome everything, but it seems that carers have little understanding of the patients basic needs l.
I understand that the staff are under pressure, but it is ridiculous to leave a quadriplegic pensioner on a bed with no supports!
Give her my love and tell her that i will try to keep you out of trouble while she is unable to tell you off.

Anyone would think I misbehave...which, of course I don't
Thanks a lot

It's a private nursing home so there's no excuse to be understaffed.....they did a care needs assessment before agreeing to offer care........
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

13-10-2017, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Makes you want to thump someone out of sheer frustration doesn't it Tpin.

There's no excuse for neglect. A matter of minutes which is costing your mum dearly. Again.

How is she in herself after this latest cockup? We all know she's a remarkable lady and feisty ... but is she okay?
Very, very shook up(even more than Elvis).....also it brought home how helpless she is and when things do this she gets very depressed.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Anyone would think I misbehave...which, of course I don't
Thanks a lot

It's a private nursing home so there's no excuse to be understaffed.....they did a care needs assessment before agreeing to offer care........
I trust that you will be making an official complaint then! Tell them I will come round to see them, that should scare them!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

13-10-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I trust that you will be making an official complaint then! Tell them I will come round to see them, that should scare them!
What really pissed me off is, when I got there the nurse was on the phone to 111....I insisted I spoke to the operator so they'd understand her background...after this I didn't see anyone...not even an explanation of events.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top